YYZ
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Did Sunlight Ruin My Pads?

Went for a little rice today and got the bike abit muddy . When I came back home, I cleaned the bike from head to toe. I degreased the chain, cassette, derailleur etc. and made sure to cover the rotors and caliper. After this, I used warm water and sunlight dish soap on the whole bike. After this I lubed the chain, derailleurs, etc. and made sure again to cover the calipers and rotors.

Well tonight I went on the bike for 5 minutes and realized how bad the stopping power was on both the front and rear brakes. Did the soapy water ruin my pads?

I'm thinking of sanding down the pads and putting some alcohol on them. But seriously, did anybody ever have this problem?
    Last edited by YYZ; 10-08-2012 at 05:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    If they only got wet with water, there should be no issues. Give it some time symptoms will go away

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Do you mean by 'sunlight' the radiation from this large helium-fusion ball in the center of the solar system, or something else?

Dish soap is very aggressive, i would not put it on my bike. I used it some times to clean my rotors, that works nicely, but i had some spots of rust on the rotor arms from time to time.

YYZ
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yes I used the dish soap on the whole bike. Sunlight soap. Will it effect the whole bike?

mtbr member
    It is too aggressive. It penetrates easily where it shouldn't and removes lubrication and grease from critical spots like wheel hubs for example. Imagine the rest. If dish soaps can leave a frying pan squeaky imagine what they do to a bike.

YYZ
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BustedBearing View Post
    It is too aggressive. It penetrates easily where it shouldn't and removes lubrication and grease from critical spots like wheel hubs for example. Imagine the rest. If dish soaps can leave a frying pan squeaky imagine what they do to a bike.
    Uh oh. Very true. Never using dish soap again. Just nice warm water and a brush. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Some mild auto soap is fine, bonus if it has some wax, gives a nice finish. For the tough spots like cassette some localized degreaser, having care not to flush the hub with it, is fine too. If you can manage to take out the chain to properly clean it its the best thing to do, power-links are good for that and cheap.

Usually you dont need any more than that. Rest of the bike is cleanable with tap water and hands. And remember do not use pressure machines, as water ill also penetrate where it shouldn't. Water flowing from the hose is just enough.

About your pads, use them for a while, give them some hard brakes and they'll be fine. Its just a matter of "burning" the residues.

YYZ
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BustedBearing View Post
    Some mild auto soap is fine, bonus if it has some wax, gives a nice finish. For the tough spots like cassette some localized degreaser, having care not to flush the hub with it, is fine too. If you can manage to take out the chain to properly clean it its the best thing to do, power-links are good for that and cheap.

Usually you dont need any more than that. Rest of the bike is cleanable with tap water and hands. And remember do not use pressure machines, as water ill also penetrate where it shouldn't. Water flowing from the hose is just enough.

About your pads, use them for a while, give them some hard brakes and they'll be fine. Its just a matter of "burning" the residues.
    Thank you, very informative. +1