uhhhh

Did I boil my brake fluid?

I ride a set of Hayes HFX Comp (plastic master cylinders) that are probably 4 years old. Today on a loooooong steep fireroad descent I was on the brakes for minutes at a time. I stopped to give my hands a quick break and when I started going again the levers pulled almost all the way to the bar with little braking effect. I was able to stop and then I pumped the levers and things went back to normal. This happened again when I stopped one other time.

What's causing this? Did I boil the fluid? I don't remember the last time the brakes were bled, it was at least 1 year ago probably more.

Thanks,
    -RD

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by RoDo
    I ride a set of Hayes HFX Comp (plastic master cylinders) that are probably 4 years old. Today on a loooooong steep fireroad descent I was on the brakes for minutes at a time. I stopped to give my hands a quick break and when I started going again the levers pulled almost all the way to the bar with little braking effect. I was able to stop and then I pumped the levers and things went back to normal. This happened again when I stopped one other time.

What's causing this? Did I boil the fluid? I don't remember the last time the brakes were bled, it was at least 1 year ago probably more.

Thanks,
    -RD
    Had the same thing happen to my Hopes. When i pulled the master cylinder cover off there was solid brown "floaties" in there, I think the floaties temporarily clogged the check valve leaving the lever to just pump into the resevoir. I completely bled the system pumping all the old fluid out and haven't had the problem come back.