mtbr member

deore rear brakes on the front?

I am in the process of putting together a cheap SS and saw that Bikeman has Shimano deore rear brakes for $40. http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/CC-DEOREDISKREAR Other than shortening (or replacing the housing) is there any issue with running these as front brakes too?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The hose will be too long and I think the IS mount won't work out with the angle hose connection.

Former Bike Wrench
    You can trim the hose on Deore brakes, and the caliper should work fine on the front (assuming your using a fork with IS mounts). The only problem I see is that the Deore levers are NOT flipable, so you'd need a left lever.

Meh.
    If you use that caliper in the front, you would have to pair it up with a 180mm rotor.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    If you use that caliper in the front, you would have to pair it up with a 180mm rotor.

OK, let me change the question to a bunch of new ones. Will I notice much difference in feel, performance, etc if I run the deore on the rear and run a different brake up front (e.g. Avid bb7 or an Avid Juicy)?

Who sells just the front deore for a reasonable price?

What 160mm rotors can be run with the deore hydro brakes?

Meh.
    Just about any rotor will pair up fine with the Deore brakes. Just don't use a rotor with a narrow blade like the XT rotors. Those are old Deores, they have been discontinued, you will be hard pressed to find any more of them.

The Juicy levers have a pretty different feel to them.

As far as performance goes... what do you plan to use the brakes for?

mtbr member
    As far as performance goes... what do you plan to use the brakes for?
    Will, the original plan was to build up a cheap SS to ride around the neighborhood with the kids but I know it will be pushed into trail service so I want it to be up to the task. I have had Juicy 7's on my trail bike for the last 3 years and love the modulation, feel and stopping power however they don't come cheap. I was considering the Juicy 5's but they seem to get a lot of bad reviews.

Meh.
    Juicy 5 is almost the EXACT same as the Juicy 7. The only difference is the red knob (well... and color, clamp design, and all that). So if you like the J7, the J5 will provide the same performance, just minus the lever throw adjustment.

29 some of the time...
    Yeah, I picked up one of those deore rear's on e-bay about 6 months ago. It works fine as a front, but as indicated you will need a front lever. I run 180mm rotor up front, so it worked great for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Will, Does that mean that these calipers will bolt up to the rear (2006 redline flight monocog) without any adaptor as long as I use a 160mm rotor and also bolt up to the front (2004 fox talas fork) without any adaptor as long as I use a 180mm rotor?

Meh.
    Yes. When you use a front caliper on the rear, it's -20mm, when you use a rear caliper on the front, it's +20mm. Occasionally you get some calipers that won't work because of how it sits. As mentioned, you will need to shorten the hose and get another lever.