mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Deore hydros to BB7s. How much weight difference?

My current setup is Deore hydros (either 515 or 525) with 8" Hope Gothic rotors. I'm having issues with modulation, alignment, and the 8" rotors are just overkill for what I ride (I'm 160 lbs).

I'm planning to change these out to BB7s (160 mm rotors) with Avid SD 7 levers.

I was told that mech discs are lighter. How much of a weight savings should I expect, just a couple ounces, or substantially more?

ballbuster

Mechs are typically heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    My current setup is Deore hydros (either 515 or 525) with 8" Hope Gothic rotors. I'm having issues with modulation, alignment, and the 8" rotors are just overkill for what I ride (I'm 160 lbs).

I'm planning to change these out to BB7s (160 mm rotors) with Avid SD 7 levers.

I was told that mech discs are lighter. How much of a weight savings should I expect, just a couple ounces, or substantially more?
    for mech brakes, the published weights are usually the brake minus the cables and levers. Hydro brakes are typically published as a complete system including levers.

I went from Avid Mechs to Magura hydros and lost 2/3 of a pound.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    As pimpbot said.. in general hydros are lighter... it is possible to put together a light mech setup with really light and expensive levers and cables... but if weight is your concern I recommend you stick with hydros.... maybe just switch your rotors..the Deores are not super light, but are usually pretty reliable
    Last edited by crisillo; 01-29-2007 at 04:31 AM.