mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Deore doesn't bite first ride of the day

I have Shimano Deore M596 brake on the front and I just changed the pads out and have a strange problem where the brakes barely work and squeal very loudly the first ride every day when going into work.

My ride in is all either flat or uphill but there are stop signs every 300 or 500 ft for a diistance of about 5 miles. Going home, the first thing I encounter is the downhill and the brakes will start to work as I descend the hill. It's about 400 elevation loss over about 3/4 miles with stop sign every 500 ft. The brakes will work fine the rest of the day after this.

The next morning, the same thing happens where the brake squeals and have no bite. The bike is stored in my garage (no insulation and has vents to the outside).

I am using the resin AO1S pads. The M596 brake is an upgrade and the rotor is the original one that came with my Hayes MX4 brake.
    Last edited by jseko; 10-29-2012 at 09:26 PM.

wyrd bi ful rd
    Brakes squealing is usually because of contaminated pads, but as you have just changed your pads, it should be fine unless you had that problem with your old pads, but the fact that it goes away after some usage, throws me off.

News pads will need 'bedding-in'. IE you have to get yourself up to speed and grab the brakes very firmly and slow down as fast as you can, without locking your brakes, and just before you come to a complete stop, release and do it again. 20 times, then repeat for the other brake. I usually lean back or stretch out my arms as I am doing so. Bum off the saddle.

The fact that it happens again the next morning but goes away after your downhill trip ...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chinaman View Post
    Brakes squealing is usually because of contaminated pads, but as you have just changed your pads, it should be fine unless you had that problem with your old pads, but the fact that it goes away after some usage, throws me off.

News pads will need 'bedding-in'. IE you have to get yourself up to speed and grab the brakes very firmly and slow down as fast as you can, without locking your brakes, and just before you come to a complete stop, release and do it again. 20 times, then repeat for the other brake. I usually lean back or stretch out my arms as I am doing so. Bum off the saddle.

The fact that it happens again the next morning but goes away after your downhill trip ...
    But when your finished doing this you have to let the brakes fully cool down or its pointless.