Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: deore discs?

mtbr member

deore discs?

hi

does shimano deore mecanical disc are cool, or should i get another mech brakes?

"El Whatever"

Rear Yes / Front No

They are reliable and relatively heavy and easy to service. Modulation is very good when paired with Deore levers but if you want raw power the Hayez HMX-1 or the Avíd Mechs are the stuff.

I have a bike with a Deore at the rear and a Avíd up front. I can rely on the rear under wet as it's very hard to block while giving a pile of stopping power. But I wouldn't put one up front, there's simply not enough power. Note that they are weak in comparison of an Avíd Mech but they are far better than Vee's.

I guess the Hayes are in the same price ballpark but they have just more power. I don't know about modulation.
    Check my Site

mtbr member

so,,

so the hayes mx1 are better than the shimano, how about mx2?

if i used to have vees, it would be a difference if i install deore mech disc front and rear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xisaacx
    so the hayes mx1 are better than the shimano, how about mx2?

if i used to have vees, it would be a difference if i install deore mech disc front and rear.

i woudl get avid mechs b4 hayes. ive just never had a lot of luck with hayes. i know some people that like em, but its rare. avids i have only heard good things. ive tried avids too and they are the 5h1t for mechs.

"El Whatever"

Yes, there is difference...

I haven't read or seen anything about the MX2 so I will not ditch or swear about them. But I think the MX1 is a bit more a better brake than the MX2. At least pads are tool-free adjustment. And yes they are overall better brakes than Deores but not for much. Here you get what you pay for.... Deores are the cheapest, but also the weakest (of discs!! Above from vees, remember!!). Next the Hayes, a bit more power but a bit more pricey. On top, the Avids.. but Avids are shoulder-to-shoulder with cheaper hydros even when Avids fry some hydros regarding power even if they do not have all the modulation a hydro can have.

If you were used to the vees... you will hardly find a substancial difference between your old vees and the Deores until you find yourself in a compromised situation (when it counts!!). Deores have better modulation and all-weather performance. A bit more of power but as I said they are more dependable than vees under critical circumstances.

Besides, if you dent or bend a rim you can still get home and even wait for you to have the bucks to replace the wheel.

Go for Discs. The Deore goes very good at the rear. Get a Deore at the back and a MX-1 on the front if your budget is pretty tight. The full Deore is a good option too but it will leave you wanting for more.
    Check my Site

mtbr member

what do you mean by ...

they are more dependable than vees under critical circumstances?

"El Whatever"

NOT TO OFFEND anyone...

But I guess that xisaacx is on a very tight budget Jaji.

I feel that way 'cos I went thru it when I first went discs. I couldn't afford a set of Avids and finally went for Deores even knowing Avids were the stuff.

For a set of Deores you gotta spend like 150 bucks plus installation (discs+hubs+lacing+etc). For a set of Avids that would go for 250 plus installation. It may sound like little money but for someone studying or depending from his parents or beggining in the sport may be like too much. It was for me.

OTOH, Hayes are just like 10-20 bucks more than deores and the difference is good for the money.

You gotta take into account the cost of the bike. If he spent 400 or 500 on his bike, he'd probably want to keep upgrades in the reasonable side. 250 bucks for mechs are like the half of the cost of the bike. Not an option IMHO.

As I said, this is how I felt when I went thru it. Hope it helps.
    Check my Site

"El Whatever"

I meant...

That while your vees pads were struggling under the rain to get a grip on the rim, the discs still work with a lillte innuendo to your lever.

When you need to brake and not block the wheel (say you're at 30mph down a steep hill and the end is loose-over-hardpack and a +90° turn is at sight) the discs are there to provide you with more decceleration power AND less chances for your wheels to skid over and you to fall.

Discs are plain better under wet, loose and emergency situations.
    Check my Site

mtbr member

i´ll have to save more

i think i´m gonna save a little more to get the avids or maybe magura julie to go hydro.

i don want to buy another brake set next year because they wasn´t what i expected.

does the magura julie are better than the deore hydro? or just the same?

"El Whatever"

Good decision....

wait for some replies on the other question you made as I haven't used any hydro. Any response from me will be useless regarding that.

OTOH, not anything will be money wasted... hubs will be the same for hydros/mechs. You can start by getting the hubs and getting your wheels relaced.

The Julies look like features loaded but I've read Maguras are a bit harder to set-up than the rest of the pack. In fact I was thinking about going hydro but I'd rather ride my Avids 'till they die. Deores look good too but a bit pricey??

Good luck!!
    Check my Site

Born of Fire
    The Maguras I've seen haven't been dependable. If you can swing it get deore hydros. They don't get any easier.

Auto-x addict
    i think i´m gonna save a little more to get the avids or maybe magura julie to go hydro.

i don want to buy another brake set next year because they wasn´t what i expected.

does the magura julie are better than the deore hydro? or just the same?
    I don't want to knock the Maguras, because I have not ridden them, but I have heard that they can be somewhat finicky. Perhaps not the best choice for the first time disc brake user.

Can you get the Hayes hydros in your country? HFX-9 is a great brake, easy to set up and rock solid reliable, about the same price range as the Julies also.

mtbr member

hayes

so, do you recommend hayes hfx-9 over the deore hydros. there are dealers for both systems in my country.

"El Whatever"

No habia notado que eres de Mexico....

Yo tambien.

Si estas en la capital, date una vuelta por Viansi en polanco. Ellos distribuyen Hayes y Magura.

Por los Deore, date una vuelta por cualquier Benotto de San Pablo. No he preguntado precio de frenos Hidraulicos Shimano, pero deben de estar en la misma escala.

En USA deben ser un poquito mas caros que los Hayes o Magura, pero aca es diferente.

Un Abrazo!!!
    Check my Site

mtbr member

mex

Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Yo tambien.

Si estas en la capital, date una vuelta por Viansi en polanco. Ellos distribuyen Hayes y Magura.

Por los Deore, date una vuelta por cualquier Benotto de San Pablo. No he preguntado precio de frenos Hidraulicos Shimano, pero deben de estar en la misma escala.

En USA deben ser un poquito mas caros que los Hayes o Magura, pero aca es diferente.

Un Abrazo!!!
    de hecho vivo en guadalajara, ya pregunte en viansi por los magura y los hayes, y por los shimano tambien el precio es muy similar de los 3 los magura 1350, los hayes 1200 y los deore 1600 aprox. (3900 el par. masas, rotor caliper y lever)

por cuales me voy, como notaste soy nuevo en esto de los frenos de disco.

mtbr member

to warp2003

sabes donde puedo encontrar avid en mexico?.

"El Whatever"

xisaacx

Avid en Mexico solo consigues en Estados Unidos.....

De hecho. Yo tengo tres frenos Avid (uno que compre y los dos de mi Giant Warp DS1 '03)y no he podido conseguir rotores en ninguna parte, porque tengo uno que esta muy doblado.

Si quieres balatas de freno Avid, las puedes conseguir en Transvisionbike. Visita su pagina y llama a la sucursal de Satelite porque no estan en su catalogo en linea. De hecho, pregunta ahi por los Deore, chance esten mas baratos.

Yo tengo pensado ir el sabado a Transvision de Satelite. Dejame preguntarte que opciones tienen.
    Check my Site

"El Whatever"

No te quiebres el coco....

Consiguete dos mazas Deore de disco (que aca en el Defectuoso deben andar por 450 max). y los Hayez de 1200. En total serian 2800 o 3000 max. y los Hayez son buenisimos. De hecho yo voy a comprar un rotor Hayez para mis Avid pues no encuentro repuestos. Incluso estaba pensando en un Magura.

Puedes preguntar tambien en Benotto por los Shimano. Me parece que todo lo Shimano en Mexico lo mueve Benotto, asi que posiblemente tengan mejores precios. Ve a su pagina y consiguete el telefono de alguna de sus tiendas en San Pablo y pregunta.

Yo no tengo pensado ir al centro pues se me hace medio complicado, pero podria ir la semana entrante.
    Check my Site

mtbr member

gracias

gracias es buena opcion,

por las masas de hecho pensaba cambiarlas, instale o no los discos asi que mejor de una vez le pongop masas para disco y junto para los hayes.

Auto-x addict
    so, do you recommend hayes hfx-9 over the deore hydros. there are dealers for both systems in my country.
    If your budget is VERY tight I would say get the Deore hydros. I've ridden them, and found them to be about as good as my Avid mechanicals.

That being said, if you can afford to save a little bit more money and get the Hayes HFX-9s, I think you will be much happier in the long run. They are not that much more money than the Deores, but have better braking power, and MUCH better modulation.

If I were in your spot, with availability of the Avids difficult, I would save my money and get the Hayes hydros.

mtbr member

hayes $$

actually hayes hfx-9 are cheeper than the deores 555.

i´ll get those, i have read some good posts and reviews. except for the levers. are they so bad?

Auto-x addict
    actually hayes hfx-9 are cheeper than the deores 555.

i´ll get those, i have read some good posts and reviews. except for the levers. are they so bad?
    I've test ridden 2 of my buddies bikes, and a long ride on a rental bike, that had those brakes, and I didn't notice anything too terrible about the levers. My full susp. bike has the HFX-Mag plus with the carbon levers and they're fantastic. It must be one of those personal taste deals. :0)

mtbr member

Uhh...

Deore mechanical discs? Great in the dry, not so good in the wet. The pads don't like getting wet, but they will still work quite well.

Abid? Great, wonderful, fantastic, perfect. If you can swing the extra few bucks for them you will not regret it.

Hayez mechs? Friends don't let friends use Hayez mechanical brakes. Ever.

Even if you find the Hayez at $20 a set, they are just not worth the hassle and grief. The Deore is a far superior brake, to the point that the newest Hayez mech brakes are remarkable in that they look nearly identical to the Deores... Must be a reason for that.

Yes, used them all for over 6 months each and at both front and rear ends. Hayez no, all others yes.

mtbr member

hayes.....

i didn´t realize thath hayes mevh were so bad, i expected a better quality as the hydros.

does shimano deore mech are bad in wet as the v-brakes? or do they perform better?

what about mudy terrain?

"El Whatever"

Yes, they are....

Yes, Deore Mechs are far better than vees on the wet and muddy. I rode yesterday with a friend of mine who rides a Deore Mech on the rear and it was pretty muddy but not so wet. I've used them on both situations and they are far better. Any disc is far better than a vee when things go ugly.
    Check my Site

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast