mtbr member
    May 2004

Deore disc vs. Juicy 5

Are Juicy 5's an upgrade from 2004 Deore disc brakes?

I'm looking for an extra pair of disc brakes to put on a bike I'm selling. Thinking of cannibalizing the Deore discs with XT rotors that came on my wife's 2004 Stumpy FSR Expert and getting her Juicy 5's.

My impression is that the Juicys would be an upgrade. My wife really likes the Deores, but has not compared them to any other disc brake.

The Juicys would almost certainly be an easier brake for me to work on as I start to learn how to adjust and bleed them myself.

Are these correct assumptions?
    Last edited by riverrat; 01-29-2005 at 11:00 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Wow this thread has been viewed 22 times and no one has an opinion?

83 feet less per minute
    Jun 2004
    You know I have the same dilemma. I like my Deores, but would like something more exotic. Reading the brake forum looks like no break is perfect. I'd hate to trade something that works for me for something that constantly needs fiddling with. I've never had to bleed the Deores. I have had to re-center the calipers occasionally when they get knocked against something. Also, why is the Juicy 5 only a few dollars more for 8 inch size and about 50 more for the Juicy 7, 8 inch size.
    The 5s seem like a good deal. Also remember the Deores use mineral oil and the Juicys use DOT fluid (eats paint).
    Want to ride in this life and the next? Ask me how.

ride
    I think both are good brakes. The Deores are pretty bomproof, as are the Avids. The Avids are a tad less bulky. I like the modulation factor a little better on the Avids. Likewise, I think the Avids have a tad more absolute power, but it may just be perception due to the more infinite modulation. Mineral oil vs DOT is not a huge deal. I prefer the availability of DOT, though. You can pick it up at any auto parts store.

The Avids are definitely easier to work on. The Avid bleed kit is completely no hassle. Once either brake is set up, though, bleeding should be uneccesary for quite some time. The DOT fluid eating paint deal is kind of misleading. It'll eat paint if it sits on it long enough, but if you spill DOT fluid and wipe it off in a timely manner, the paint will be fine.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for the replies.

mtbr member
    I find Shimano products easier to bleed than anyone else's DOT brakes plus, I'm not worrying about squirting a fairly toxic liguid around. By the by, most drugstores carry lightweight mineral oil which is identical to Shimano?magura et al sans the dye.
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Thanks for the replies.