mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Degreasing disc pads/rotor?

Gah - although I am careful about not getting lube on my rotors, I think I may have done so inadvertently while cleaning the cassette, cos now my back disc (Avid BB5) barely has any stopping power, even when dialled right in. Tried giving pads and rotor a very light grade sanding but didn't seem to help much - any other suggestions? I have a cross-country marathon on Sunday (50 miles, 7900 ft - eek) and would kind of like to have a back brake available (though it's not the end of the world and might even work itself out after the first couple of descents).
    SPD shoes, pedals, cleats and the experience of going clipless. (a work in progress - let me know if I missed something!)

A mean teen...
    Feb 2007
    Wash the disc with detergent as heavily as you can. The brake pads can go in the oven at 200 degrees C for about 20 minutes, then after that try sanding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Nice one mate! Combination of Fairy liquid on the rotors, a baking in the oven (which I guess burns up any oil or grease) and a bit of a sanding, together with a light crosshatch sanding of the rotor, and I seem to be back in business. Runs a little ragged, but I expect that's the sanding and it'll smooth out in no time. Thanks - good tip!

P.S. Forgot to say I am running "reds" which are the ceramic ones. I don't know exactly what the "greens" are made of, the supposed "organic compound", but I wonder if all pads can take a baking in the oven. I guess if they can handle the heat of a big descent, then the oven shouldn't be a problem either...
    SPD shoes, pedals, cleats and the experience of going clipless. (a work in progress - let me know if I missed something!)

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Brakleen

Brakleen works EVERY time. Keep it off the frame and other parts though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by moto367
    Brakleen works EVERY time. Keep it off the frame and other parts though.
    I am not sure if we have that in my part of the world, but it is basically a strong solvent, so I guess anything like paint thinner (like you said, keep it away from the frame) or degreaser would work. Maybe that would be a simpler solution - will try that too, next time (no doubt there will be a next time!)

~Disc~Golf~
    Well, I'd get new pads and then just use use the old ones as a butter substitute when pan-frying

If you really don't want Finish Line eggs, then I guess you could try baking them as suggested above...
    ...who doesn't want Finish Line eggs?? ...or Tri-Flow, or Phils...just don't use WD-40 - turns out 'gamey'
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Well, I'd get new pads and then just use use the old ones as a butter substitute when pan-frying

If you really don't want Finish Line eggs, then I guess you could try baking them as suggested above...
    ...who doesn't want Finish Line eggs?? ...or Tri-Flow, or Phils...just don't use WD-40 - turns out 'gamey'
    It's tricky - of course frying is tastiest, but I am pretty health conscious so I think I will settle for a compromise next time: a nice brake pad au gratin with a jolly little chablis to round it off. And if that doesn't stop me, I don't know what will.

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^^ frikkin foodies!!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Buy new ones, they'll never be the same.

Brakes stop your bike, it could mean the difference between stopping, and bashing your head into a tree.

Skip two beers next Friday night and spend the $10 to buy new pads.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by helexia23
    Buy new ones, they'll never be the same.

Brakes stop your bike, it could mean the difference between stopping, and bashing your head into a tree.

Skip two beers next Friday night and spend the $10 to buy new pads.
    You're right, you know - I raced on them over the weekend and they just weren't the same. And the front ones started fading on me too, not nice.

Unfortunately in my part of the world, 2 litres of beer = $2, set of BB5 pads = $18 So I have to drink a lot of beer to pay for them! But I guess I'll have to. Oh, times two, cos it looks like both sets are shot. Thanks for the tips anyway, still bailed me out temporarily.