a.k.a. MTBMaven

Deglaze Brake Pads?

Background:
    I have gone on two rides over the past two Sundays where by front brakes scream like a banshee. I am running new Hope Mono 4s in the front with 180mm rotors and new Hope Minis in the rear with 160mm rotors. The ride is about 7 miles and +/- 5,000 vertical feet of elevation loss on tight, technical, single track, so needless to say I'm on the brakes frequently. On today's ride I noticed quite a bit of brake fade and screaming very early on the decent. Last week the screaming didn't start until the last 2 miles of the decent with no screaming or brake fade noticed prior. This leads me to believe that something changed not simply bad brakes.

Hypothesis:
    I am wondering if the brakes have gotten glazed over due to the heat and riding the brakes for so many miles. Similar to what would happen on a car.

Questions:
    Can one tell if brake pads are glazed by simply looking at them?
    If so, what would they look like?

How would one remedy glazed pads if they were in fact glazed over, assuming the pads were not too warn?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

"El Whatever"
    Yes... you're brakes have all the symptoms of pad glazing. If they look shiny on the surface, yes they are glazed. If your pads are sintered, they'll look like a used pencil tip.

Simply sand them with a very fine grit (400) sandpaper over a flat surface (so high points are eliminated/prevented). Or for a quick job (not trully recommendable) just rub them against each other. You gotta go thru the whole bed in process again or you'll glaze them in a blink.

Some people recommends to sand the rotors too in a cross hatch pattern... I really don't know how good/bad is it so I would not tell you to go for it.
    Check my Site

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Thanks

Cool. Thanks for the quick diagnosis.