mtbr member

Decreasing lever throw in 07 XTR/ 08 XT brakes...

Curious...I read this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1977
    Remove the wheel and then pull the lever about half way in. Then top up the master cylinder again so its full and reinstall wheel then recheck lever travel. If you want less travel repeat it until you get it how you like it.
    and am wondering if that would work for Shimano brakes, or if for some reason it wouldn't. I'd prefer my levers to have a little less throw, but it seems like with a Shimano system, it'd be easier to force a little more fluid in at the caliper, then seal it off (which you can't really do with an Avid system). Don't really care to needlessly bleed my brakes, but which would likely have a better result, squeezing lever without rotor, or forcing fluid through the caliper then sealing off?

I'm trying not to use the little knob at the lever on the XTs.

Meh.
    Yes, you could purposely overfill the system, though this could pose a problem if the fluid does not have enough room to expand. It could start to push the pistons out. You can just remove the wheel and pump out the pistons a bit by pulling the lever. And then reinstall the wheel.

Actually, it's very easy to force fluid in with the Avid system... because you have the nice fittings that thread in and the syringes.

If you've got the knob... then use it... that's what it is for...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    Curious...I read this:

and am wondering if that would work for Shimano brakes, or if for some reason it wouldn't. I'd prefer my levers to have a little less throw, but it seems like with a Shimano system, it'd be easier to force a little more fluid in at the caliper, then seal it off (which you can't really do with an Avid system). Don't really care to needlessly bleed my brakes, but which would likely have a better result, squeezing lever without rotor, or forcing fluid through the caliper then sealing off?
    Over filling the brake is likely to cause the pads to rub. That is why they provide the yellow spacer which is the correct space without pads fitted. The new 2008 XT levers have a screw on the front to adjust "free throw".

Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    I'm trying not to use the little knob at the lever on the XTs.
    The knobs on the levers do not affect free throw. They adjust reach of the levers. Why don't you want to use them?

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

Meh.
    Actually the new XT levers do have a free stroke adjust.

"New level of high performance and adjustability. Separate reach adjustment and free stroke adjustment allows tuning for personal preference. Servo Wave mechanism for quicker engagement and 20% more stopping power."
    Last edited by XSL_WiLL; 01-15-2008 at 11:40 AM.