mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Decisions decisions decisions

Hey.
    Im getting new brakes for my dh bike soon.I have hayes 9's and im looking for an upgrade.
    Im stuck between 08 juicy 5's, 07 juicy 7's or shimano saints.
    Is the pad adjuster on the juicy 7's really worth the extra money?
    Also what about the saints?Are they worth a look at?
    Thanks a lot
    Heff

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I'd personally go with saints...I just prefer shimano brakes over the Juicy (although they are good brakes too)

Meh.
    Saints are excellent brakes. I like Shimano brakes because they're very easy to bleed without a kit. They're usually fairly low maintenance. The Saints have good power and modulation. The downside is that service parts availability is limited. The caliper cannot be rebuilt and all that.

I've been running the J7s for the past couple of years. I've got a few sets and put a couple friends on the brakes too. They've never let me down. Though sometimes they can be a bit finicky to set up. And some complain that there isn't enough modulation. I can see where those people are coming from, the brakes are a bit grabby, but they're still a big step up from the Nines. I don't think the knob is absolutely necessary. Though it is nice to have to dial in where you want the lever to engage and get the levers feeling the same. The 5s and 7s are the same other than the knob and color. One thing though... I would flush out the DOT fluid right away. You never know how long it has been sitting around... And I would replace it with a higher performance fluid such as Motul RBF 600 or ATE or something along those lines.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Ok.
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    I think il go for the avids.
    I have deores on my hardtail and i must say they are really good but i think id like to try something new.