mtbr member
    May 2013

Debris in brake fluid when bleeding

Just bled my Juicy 7's for the first time, and when pulling the fluid up through the lever, I saw some grey looking debris in the fluid. Anyone seen this before?

The bleed didn't go super well, it was my first time doing it, and I'll have to repeat, but I am wondering if this means that my system has lost a seal or something.

Thanks,

Wes

cowbell
    There's no telling what it might be. Re-bleed and flush the fluid - keep putting new fluid through til you aren't getting debris.

MTB B'dos
    That's normal as I'm assuming you've had them for a while. DOT Fluid breaks down over time, absorbs water, so what's your seeing is a combination of all that. As Cotharyus said, do another bleed and another if you have to until you get nice clear fluid coming up out of the system. Oh and yes, seals can break down over time, they're replaceable parts, that could also be part of the gunk in the fluid, but if your system is bleeding to a strong lever and you can't hear any sucking noises when bleeding I think they should be fine - you can generally hear a sucking noise if the seals are gone when you do the pull out on the syringe at whichever end you're bleeding.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    May 2013

Thanks. Will give it a go

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    That's normal as I'm assuming you've had them for a while. DOT Fluid breaks down over time, absorbs water, so what's your seeing is a combination of all that. As Cotharyus said, do another bleed and another if you have to until you get nice clear fluid coming up out of the system. Oh and yes, seals can break down over time, they're replaceable parts, that could also be part of the gunk in the fluid, but if your system is bleeding to a strong lever and you can't hear any sucking noises when bleeding I think they should be fine - you can generally hear a sucking noise if the seals are gone when you do the pull out on the syringe at whichever end you're bleeding.
    Part of the problem I have is that I bought a cheap bleed kit on the internet. The tubes were held to the syringes with zipties rather than being screwed in like the Juicy syringes. My advice: Just bite the bullet and buy the Avid kit.