mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Dear Shimano Fanbois: XT or XTR brakes? Which ones?

I'm ready to switch my 3 bikes from Avid to Shimano brakes. I'm a SRAM/XX1 fanboi through and through, but after hearing my Elixir 9 squealing for 49 hours on the bike, I'm done with them. They have never failed me, they have always worked, but I'm over it. Money and wallet be damned

So, XT or XTR? I like having "the best" and don't mind paying for if it's worth it, but if it's just cosmetic and 30g of material shaved, I'm not going to worry about it. The XT to XTR difference is $200 per bike ($100 per corner) for me.

Worth it?

-Tom

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    My last bike (just stripped it) has/had XT and is ancient. XTR was a something to dream about back then. Quite happy with XT but if given it would lick XTR lol
    i think I'd stick with XT, I couldn't justify the extra for XTR after all to save a few ounces I'd have to seriously think about shedding double from my belly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Let me make your decision easier..

How about XTR's for $160 a side...??

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie-Rhys View Post
    My last bike (just stripped it) has/had XT and is ancient. XTR was a something to dream about back then. Quite happy with XT but if given it would lick XTR lol
    i think I'd stick with XT, I couldn't justify the extra for XTR after all to save a few ounces I'd have to seriously think about shedding double from my belly.
    That's my question. If it's JUST the few grams with the same performance, agreed. But are they better?

Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post

DANG, those are the "Race" version. Those have no lever adjustment. Definitely going XT vs XTR Race as I love adjustable levers and those are a must have. That's why I went with the XX vs XX World Cups on my current Avids. Adjustment = worth it's weight in gold.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Check out the XT M785's over at CRC.
    Shimano XT M785 Disc Brake | Chain Reaction Cycles

$100-ish are a wicked price for those. The reviews for them are great, although I would stick with RT-86 rotors as well, meaning you'd have to fork out extra cash.

I was on a budget and went with the Deore M596's (the XT's little brother) and I couldn't be happier. No squeeling from my set, and they only cost me $120 for front and rear. Hope my little experience helps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    They are currently out of stock at CRC, but I have an email coming if they come back in stock. That price is crazy low. Like shop cost price low. It's what I shall be going with if I end up with XT vs the XTR setup.

Right now I'm thinking of XTR for the race bike "just because" and XT for the Remedy and Bikepacking rig.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    XTR doesn't have anything appreciable over XT other than finish. Be careful ordering from CRC; you'll likely get an extra invoice from DHL Express for Import/Export duty. With that added cost, there are plenty of USA mail order shops that will be equal cost in the end.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    XTR gets you the dimpled brake levers and a slimmer better looking master cylinder assembly, plus an overall appearance that's more polished & refined. How much that's worth is hard to say, for me it's probably about $25-30 per brake, for someone else it might be $10 or $100.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well, black > polished So that's a + for the XT in my book.

I was more wondering if there was feel/performance difference. It looks like the caliper and brake cylinder are 1 piece on the XTR and 2 piece on the XT.

-Tom

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    As far as I can tell the performance is the same. The only difference in feel is the dimpled brake levers, the dimples give your fingers a better grip on the levers in wet conditions or if your hands are sweaty. This allows for slightly better control under those conditions. Plus the dimples feel great to me, those things are like sex. Ok, maybe not that good, but it would suck if I had to give them up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post

Well, thanks for that now

They put their Trail up at the same offer.

"Add to cart times 6" OUCH!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Xtr on sale is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    Well, thanks for that now

They put their Trail up at the same offer.

"Add to cart times 6" OUCH!
    Here are the Trail version for the same price