mtbr member

Dear brake nerds....

Aha! I have got your attention...

I'm currently running 2012 Avid World Cup brakes, with the Avid rotors (160mm front, 140mm rear). They came on my bike and I have to confess, they are awful. They need bleeding around every two weeks or so,and they feel horrible. They're sticky as anything, and horrid under braking. I even don't like the way the shifters bolt onto the bottom of the levers...

My solution to this problem is to sell them, buy some Hope Race X2 Evo's with some matchmakers, and some floating rotors (160mm front and rear).

Now, it's a lot of money to spend and a lot of effort for everyone involved. I just wanted to know if anyone had an alternative solution? new pads? or new rotors for example..

Thanks in advance.
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

mtbr member
    May 2011
    New rotors or pads won't help if the brakes are sticking and need regular bleeding... Going by everything I've heard about Avid brakes, in my humble opinion, you are better off switching brakes. It's unlikely any tweak will fix the problems you are describing.

mtbr member
    Realistically, how much do you think the XX's are worth?

Never Forget 9-11
    Are they not still covered under warranty?
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

mtbr member
    They would be yes, who would I get in touch with? The bike store?

Never Forget 9-11
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostN7 View Post
    They would be yes, who would I get in touch with? The bike store?
    You should be able to go back through the store you bought it from. I had a XO caliper exchanged about a month ago and the LBS where I bought it did all the work for me to get the exchange through Avid.
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

mtbr member
    I rang the shop I got it from, and they have asked me to send them back for an exchange. Which should do the trick. Thanks for the advise guys! When I get them back, do you think I should sell them and get the Hope Race X2 Evo's or just keep them?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    A friend of mine has the world cups. The need to re-bleed seems pretty common with the higher end Avids. Not sure your problem will go away, but if you're not out any money, it's worth a shot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    A friend of mine has the world cups. The need to re-bleed seems pretty common with the higher end Avids. Not sure your problem will go away, but if you're not out any money, it's worth a shot.
    I might being being blonde here, but are you saying it's a design flaw, or a faulty set of brakes?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If you're spending high-end wedge on brakes, maybe go for the latest Shimano XTRs?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I might being being blonde here, but are you saying it's a design flaw, or a faulty set of brakes?
    I won't go so far to say there's a design flaw, but based on reviews it appears the high end Avids require more frequent bleeding than their competition. Could be the trade-off for the really light weight.

Avid XX World Cup Disc Brake System Reviews

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If you are not happy with the Avids, but the brakes are still covered by warranty, you could get the brakes replaced, sell the new set and buy new stoppers with the money. New World Cups are worth several benjamins, you can get almost any set of brakes you want for that kind of cash.

mtbr member
    While I like SRAM and their components I think their brakes are terrible. I have used a few different types of brakes and in my experience you cant beat the 2011 Magura Marta's.

I have a set of Marta Sl's on one bike and a set of Formula R1's on the other. While the R1's are lighter.... The Marta's are still the best feeling brakes I have used.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anlin View Post
    If you are not happy with the Avids, but the brakes are still covered by warranty, you could get the brakes replaced, sell the new set and buy new stoppers with the money. New World Cups are worth several benjamins, you can get almost any set of brakes you want for that kind of cash.
    This is probably what I will end up doing.... Will probably get some Hope Race X2 Evo.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    This is probably what I will end up doing.... Will probably get some Hope Race X2 Evo.
    Should be an excellent choice. I really, really like the new Race lever.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I run hope brakes on all my bikes. I switched from magura and avid way back and haven't looked back.
    My Rides:
    Mountain Cycle San Andreas VPS
    Mountain Cycle Rumble Ltd.
    Mountain Cycle Battery
    GT STS-2 Carbon
    GT LTS

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by R+P+K View Post
    That's the Tech Evo X2, but yeah, the looks of Hope brakes are polarizing, although the anodized black ones less so.

Although I like the adjustability of the Tech lever, the Race looks and feels so much sleeker.
    Bikeradar has also reviewed the Race Evo X2, and if this article is to be believed, the Race Evo is lighter and more powerful too..