mtbr member

Dart 2 with 185mm Rotors?

I have a Marlin Disc XL. I am running Juicy 5's on it. The fork is a 100mm Dart 2. Question is, i know on the SRAM website they say "max RECOMMENED rotor is 165mm". But I notice all other shocks, there is no word "recommened". They only say "max size is blah". So, can I put a 185 up front on mine? I'm 6'3 and 210lbs. Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'll second that question! As a clyde myself, I wouldn't mind having a larger rotor on my Dart 3.

Riding or Fishing
    You are taking a chance by running larger than recommended rotors.
    Why not call Rock Shox and ask?
    For the record, when I started riding, I was close to 300, and ran a Dart 1 with 160's. I NEVER felt that I needed to upsize the rotors.

mtbr member
    This max rotor size always confused me, I dont get how rotor size adds more stress to a fork as long.... with my 165 I could lock the front wheel any time I felt like flipping over the bars or if I drag my rear end on the back wheel I can skid the skid the front tire.

You tires only have so much traction I would think you are getting the same amount of stress on your fork regardless of what size rotor you use... would it be the same till tread breaks free?.

FIY I moved up to 185mm rotors not for added power but now I only need 1 finger vs. 2

Meh.
    Do not upside the rotors.