mtbr member

Dangers of DOT 5.1...?

I've been seeing a lot of ppl saying the stuff is some dangerous/nasty crap!
    But when I took a look at the Material Safety Data Sheet on it, it only said a mild eye irritant and if ingested, may cause slight upset stomach. Did I miss something?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm a bit flummoxed too. I've had that crap on my hands and the bike quite often. I've never so much as had even reddening of the skin where its touched me, and the bike has suffered nil. Other will chime in I'm sure though.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Not that I am aware of. But, as with all chemicals, be cautious.

I have been exposed to it on my skin and been fine. Have not ingested it or gotten it in my eyes - not that I would want to anyway, so can't talk about that.

Probably an attempt to idiot proof it.

b a n n e d
    I d-d-do a-a sh-shot of it ev . . . ev. . . .every morning. N-n-n-no prrrroblems yyyet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Just something that gets repeated often enough to "become" fact.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Set a can of DOT 3, DOT 4, DOT 5.1 and Mineral Oil side by side, they all have the same warnings and cautions on the container. The only really "nasty" traits that DOT fluids have is their ability to strip a painted surface if not cleaned off. And then only if left for a period of time. If cleaned off promptly, it usually won't harm a painted finish. And the marketing BS that mineral oil brake fluids are more "environmentally friendly" is just that, BS. The only thing that makes mineral oil greener is it is non-petrol based, and made from "renewable" sources. The additives required to increase the boiling point of mineral oil brake fluids to usable levels isn't any safer for the environment than DOT fluids, and it's only slightly less toxic.

Like gmcttr said, It's just something that gets repeated often enough to become believed as fact.

What it boils down to is you have to use an appropriate amount of caution with them, as with any chemical compound, whether petrol based or not. I'm a mechanic and work with DOT and mineral oil fluids pretty regularly. I do wear gloves when working with both. DOT fluid does irritate my skin a bit. And both types are easily absorbed through the skin as are many oils, cleaners, etc. And most of the chemicals found in these types of things really aren't "good" for you. So minimizing skin exposure is simply smart. But DOT 5.1 isn't nearly as "nasty" as it's hyped to be.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Underskilled
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    It depends also on the paint job itself, but on my juicy 7 dot 5.1 stripped the name off in no time. Just neutralise it with water first before wiping it off.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash View Post
    The only thing that makes mineral oil greener is it is non-petrol based, and made from "renewable" sources

Good Dirt
    how is mineral oil made then, if not from petroleum?

Former Bike Wrench
    Don't ingest any and wear gloves when bleeding your brakes...problem solved.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by brake jack View Post
    how is mineral oil made then, if not from petroleum?
    Same place synthetic motor oil comes from, and made basically the same way. The base elements are simply manipulated differently to produce properties that are suitable for use as brake fluid.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    Don't ingest any and wear gloves when bleeding your brakes...problem solved.
    Is there even a problem? I can see the stuff stripping moisture from your skin if exposed for too long, and get split cuticles.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I drink a liter of the stuff every day, its not an addiction though.

I can stop anytime I want

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash View Post
    Same place synthetic motor oil comes from, and made basically the same way. ...
    Are you sure about that. I'm not.

Mineral oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia