mtbr member
    May 2004

Danger Boy Levers: Are They Worth It ?

Went to my LBS today and saw and felt the levers. They look cool and feel better, stiffer, but are they worth it compared to the stock levers. I have Hayes, the champagne colored ones with 8 in.rotors.The bike their going on is a Stinky Primo. How do they feel and how difficult is the install? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    They are stiffer and the feel is much better than the stock Hayes levers in my opinion. However, they lack the extra adjustments that the (now defunct) Razor Rock Racing levers offered.

As far as installation, it will depend on the model and year of your lever/cylinder. On some models you can use an Allen wrench to remove the pivot bolt on the lever and on others, you have to use a special tool. It is essentially a press that allows you to bolt in the lever and press out the pivot pin. The tool is made by Balle Racing http://www.balleracing.com/ and it works great but it is $77. Before you buy the levers, make sure your bike shop has the proper tools to get the pin out if it is the "press in" type. If they go for the hammer and vice method, I would turn around and walk away.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

special tool not necessary

I think the levers are worth it for a weekend at Whistler - more power and less finger fatigue due to larger surface area. I bought BONZ levers, same shape as Razor Rock without the extra adjuster (which I find completely unnecessary).

As for changing the levers, you don't need that special tool. A proper size cylindrical center punch and vice work just fine, though you will break the little plastic retainer clips by doing this and have to replace them on reinstall. When you put in the new levers, you can replace the stupid pin with the vastly superior allen bolts, for about $5 per lever in parts. I did this on my Mags; I'm not certain but I believe you can get the allen bolts for the 9s, and my used Comps came with the allen bolts.

Toby Wong?
    I've got the XT version and like the extra molding around the finger for grip.

nice upgrade

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

No, but...

...they sure are nice to have for 'intangible' reasons. I can't honestly say that my XT's have more power or my hands fatigue less, but the levers sure feel great, and look very cool. Worth $60? Naw, probably not - but you can bet I'll swap the old levers in if I ever sell the brakes!