mtbr member
    Nov 2004

cutting hydraulic lines?

the rear hydraulic cable of my 2005 XT disc brake seems too long. is there a way i can cut it short? please tell me how if possible.thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I recently went through the same thing.

You'll need a Shimano's package (part#: Y-8H2-98020) of an olive and a connecting insert, which you will use to crush the line once it is cut. Go to your LBS, they'll get it for you for about $5.

Unbolt the rear caliper from the frame, pull it and see how long you'll want to cut. Put back the caliper. Unscrew the line from the brake lever. You'll need to cut the line in perpendicular and clean fashion. I used a Dremel tool with abrasive disc head. Some fluid will drip, and some air may get in the line, so you may need to bleed the system. When I did it for the first time, it took me about 30 minutes. It's not so difficult.

Some people have posted that you can salvage the olive if you carefully cut the line. But when I took apart the banjo, it was well crushed at the factory installation, it didn't seem like it was possible to salvage. I've also heard you can get away with using Magura's olive, although I have no confirmation on this yet.

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

old XT the same?

Is the procedure the same for old style XT 4 piston?
    Quote Originally Posted by Astroboy
    I recently went through the same thing.

You'll need a Shimano's package (part#: Y-8H2-98020) of an olive and a connecting insert, which you will use to crush the line once it is cut. Go to your LBS, they'll get it for you for about $5.

Unbolt the rear caliper from the frame, pull it and see how long you'll want to cut. Put back the caliper. Unscrew the line from the brake lever. You'll need to cut the line in perpendicular and clean fashion. I used a Dremel tool with abrasive disc head. Some fluid will drip, and some air may get in the line, so you may need to bleed the system. When I did it for the first time, it took me about 30 minutes. It's not so difficult.

Some people have posted that you can salvage the olive if you carefully cut the line. But when I took apart the banjo, it was well crushed at the factory installation, it didn't seem like it was possible to salvage. I've also heard you can get away with using Magura's olive, although I have no confirmation on this yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mvi
    and what hydraulic cable is better than that of XT?

Authority is dead!
    Quote Originally Posted by mvi
    I always thought they came with ss lines

SS lines are better, but aren't cuttable.
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I know that all the Shimano's current lineup of the hydraulic brakes use the same parts and procedure for the hydro lines and the connectors.

i have a feeling that it's the same for the old XT lines as well. You can go to Shimano's technical pages and download the pdfs of several exploded views. Compare to see, if it look the same to your lines and the connectors.