mtbr member
    Feb 2007

cutting hydraulic hoses, lever or caliper end?

I want to shorten my hydraulic hoses on a set of xtr calipers/levers (966). Is it better (i.e. less hardware to replace) to cut on the lever end or the caliper end?

mtbr member
    Typically the end without the banjo bolt.

parts leftover
    Quote Originally Posted by wingnut1122
    I want to shorten my hydraulic hoses on a set of xtr calipers/levers (966). Is it better (i.e. less hardware to replace) to cut on the lever end or the caliper end?
    I'm just going to say that if you hack off the end by the caliper, you're going to have a really hard time reattaching the hose. This is a case where the instructions are a good thing to look at. You can find them on Shimano's website.

Or you can take a look at my detailed post...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...25973#poststop

Good luck!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    As far as I know... it is always at the lever.. since the caliper banjo is factory-attached....

as schlim proposed, check the installation instructions.... don't worry much the hoses are very easy to cut and the brakes are easy to bleed (if you need to do it).

mtbr member
    After looking at a shot of the brake it's 2 banjo's.

One has a mechanical crimp, and the other has a nut you spin off. That's the one that is supposed to be at the lever end.

Shimano has a disc brake service manual that outlines all the setup info parts, and everything else on their brakes. If you're going to be working on your brakes often then it's worth tracking one down.