mtbr member

cutting braided steel lines

I am replacing the standard hydraulic brake lines on my Magura Louise with Magura braided steel lines. Does anyone have any tips on tool or techniques to achieve a clean cut through the braided steel?

I have read somewhere about wrapping the line with a few turns of silicone tape before cutting. Will an exacto knife do the trick?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971
    I am replacing the standard hydraulic brake lines on my Magura Louise with Magura braided steel lines. Does anyone have any tips on tool or techniques to achieve a clean cut through the braided steel?

I have read somewhere about wrapping the line with a few turns of silicone tape before cutting. Will an exacto knife do the trick?

Thanks!
    The tape idea is good but a knife won't scratch a stainless steel line. If you don't have an angle grinder or a chop saw use a hacksaw, make sure to clean the filings out.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4212darren
    The tape idea is good but a knife won't scratch a stainless steel line. If you don't have an angle grinder or a chop saw use a hacksaw, make sure to clean the filings out.
    What about a Dremel tool with the cutting wheel?

mtbr member
    It has to be a high speed cutter like a circular saw, chop saw. If you can spin that dremel up high enough and have a steel cutting blade it sure sounds like a nice solution. Make a practice cut ahead of where you actually need to chop the hose to feel it out.

Slow cutting like with a hacksaw will just crush the tube and bend & distort the steel braiding.

Does Magura have any info posted or available? I met a tech guy from there called Jude a few years ago and he had every trick about brakes tucked away in his head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971
    What about a Dremel tool with the cutting wheel?
    A dremel would be my first choice. I use 3 wraps of duct tape wrapped as tightly as you can possibly get it. The strands in the duct tape keep the braids on the hose from fraying out. Once you've cut it nice and clean, if you need to put the hose socket over the hose keep the tape in place. Unwrap the tape one wind then re-wrap it over the end of the hose so it protects the exposed hose. This helps you slip the socket over without it grabbing the metal braids plus it also keeps you from sticking them into your fingers which doesnt feel so good.

I-S
    Magurified
    When I did mine (HEL performance) I used a very hefty pair of side cutters and it was still extremely hard work. An exacto knife will do round about nothing to a braided line. I didn't try my dremel since I shattered the last of my cutting discs.