6x7=Dont Panic!

Cross brakes on a MTB?

I am currently riding a 1990 Klein Attitude as my main ride and I think its about time to upgrade the brakes. I want something light but powerful. I've been looking at the TRP Magnesium cantilevers as well as the Spooky carbon cantis. Power is more important to me than weight or looks. I have also been looking at the new Camillo GX cantis (Zero Gravity). They don't seem to be any lighter than the others but they look hella cool and cost about the same thing. I'd prefer the look of those but I'd rather wait and see what kind of reviews they get. So between the TRPs and the Spookys what do you reckon would suit my purposes better? Are these brakes okay for serious offroad use? I know I can't go wrong with pauls but I want something more exotic and lightweight. Thanks for any input. I know the trp's will look insane in white and I have a lot of gold on the bike anyhow from the rastafarian theme. Here's a pic of the bike, sorry its a bit old but its what Ive got:
    Herro prease

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMantra
    I am currently riding a 1990 Klein Attitude as my main ride and I think its about time to upgrade the brakes. I want something light but powerful. I've been looking at the TRP Magnesium cantilevers as well as the Spooky carbon cantis. Power is more important to me than weight or looks. I have also been looking at the new Camillo GX cantis (Zero Gravity). They don't seem to be any lighter than the others but they look hella cool and cost about the same thing. I'd prefer the look of those but I'd rather wait and see what kind of reviews they get. So between the TRPs and the Spookys what do you reckon would suit my purposes better? Are these brakes okay for serious offroad use? I know I can't go wrong with pauls but I want something more exotic and lightweight. Thanks for any input. I know the trp's will look insane in white and I have a lot of gold on the bike anyhow from the rastafarian theme. Here's a pic of the bike, sorry its a bit old but its what Ive got:
    Save your money. Hard to get stronger cantis than the Shimanos you have. Just install new pads and play with the length of the straddle cables to adjust the power.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    any of the wide Neo Retro cantis like the pauls ones have more leverage.
    some people hit their calves on them, some dont. a popular option is the wide canti in the front,and a standard in the rear. power up front, clearance in back.

and BTW i really like your ride.

Disclaimer:I work in a Bike Shop.http://www.northcentralcyclery.com/

A wheelist
    If you want to pose with your brakes get the $300 TRP's ($150 per end) but if you want the bike to stop, use your XT. My son had XT and they were better (way better) than any of the blingy ones I got sucked into.

What's that I see on the TRP? No toe-in adjustment save for a little screw on the pads? The shine will wear off fast when you can't get rid of the howl.

On my cyclocross bike I have two different brakes - the rear one is a Paul Touring and the front is a $14 Tektro Mini-v. Guess which one works as well as the one that cost 7x as much? More fool me.

You send out the darndest mixed messages! -

"Power is more important to me than weight or looks.......I know I can't go wrong with pauls but I want something more exotic and lightweight."
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    You send out the darndest mixed messages! -

"Power is more important to me than weight or looks.......I know I can't go wrong with pauls but I want something more exotic and lightweight."
    I wouldn't call that a mixed message. I want something exotic and light but power is more important in the decision. I think I'm just going to polish up my XT's and keep them. Time for some new pads for sure though. Thanks for the speedy input you guys, it seems you've saved me a bit of skrilla.
    Herro prease

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMantra
    I wouldn't call that a mixed message.
    I'll file that as the most mixed non-mixed message I've ever seen.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    if your not concerned with the image why not step up to some nice v's?

I just sold my cross bike with canti's to buy a replacement with disks. I will never look back, I gave up endless adjusting to stop squealing, for quiet powerful brakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Been there, done that. Cheap V's will gain stopping power over old high end canti's.
    '02 Kona Bear - '01 Schwinn Homegrown Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona Jake the Snake

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yepper same as above, V's, you can pick up used XTR on ebay for cheap
    KIN
    Yes its retro but IT WORKS!

8 Speed is great and V-Brakes rock!

Ex-wrench...have a Question just ask!

6x7=Dont Panic!
    I cant run v's with this frame without some serious modifications or a rare adapter that I'm not down to look for. Besides, if I didn't use cantilevers then I would need new levers and my primal wares are insanely cool. Almost 200g, but super cool.
    Herro prease