mtbr member

Crooked Avid BB7 pad driving me nuts

I just replaced my front BB7 brake Avid stock pads (worn down) with a set of Jagwire RZ's for BB7's. For the life of me, I can't get the left pad to align to the rotor. It tips toward the outer part of the rotor.

I took the left "piston" out of the BB7 (it just snaps out) cleaned it, cleaned the area up, and re-assembled, and it still does it. It got less after I squeezed the brake real hard, but still tips in toward the outer part of the rotor. I haven't ridden the bike yet, but wonder if this wil eventually line up correctly?

I did a search on here to no avail. Oddly enough, when I type in "bb7" in the search window, I get 'no matches'. ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Is the H-spring correctly placed between the pads?

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/...B7%20Juicy.pdf

mtbr member
    Yes, I forgot to mention it, but that is one of the first things I suspected.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by agfrag
    I took the left "piston" out of the BB7 (it just snaps out) cleaned it, cleaned the area up, and re-assembled, and it still does it.

Just curious, when you say you popped out the piston, you mean the innards of the brake itself? The thingy that pushes on the actual pad assembly? I have a BB7/BB5 brake that I popped out the piston on, and i've never been able to get it properly re-set. It works, but it wobbles.

mtbr member
    The thing I took out and put back in again is called the "outer pressure foot". It s the part that touches the back of the brake pad, and is held to the drive cam with a snap ring. It came out and went back in fairly easy, and to all appearances is pretty flush, not tilted, to the drive cam.

mtbr member
    Aarrgh! What a dolt! The problem was that I didn't push the pads in far enough.

I thought I heard and felt a click the first time in, but when I looked at the top of the pads with a flashlight, I saw that the two pad "ears" hadn't clipped into the retaining clip. It took a bit of force with the flat blade of a screwdriver to push them in, but after they clicked, bingo, all is well.

Live and learn I guess.