mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Cracked XT Reservoir Cap

Took a digger yesterday and noticed I have a cracked reservoir cap on my XT 775 brakes. Haven't noticed any leakage (continued riding for about 1.5 hours after) and no brake fade. Since I believe there is a rubber reservoir seal inside...do you think I'm ok with not replacing it?

Here's a pic:

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    yes..I think the rubber membrane below the cap should keep it sealed.... I'd just keep an eye on it

mtbr member
    May 2009
    if i were you i'd drill a hole at the end of the crack and patch the whole thing up with JB weld.

I think I need to Upgrade
    As said already yes there is a rubber seal under it. You are going to want to replace it as soon as you are able to do so, or try repairing it like AlexJK described. If you don't over time the crack sould cut the seal and it could fail at a bad time for you. I would just order one either online or from the LBS and be done with it.

mtbr member
    Try this, it is made of aluminium, light weight and no worry of cracking it again. Cool colour to match your bike

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hydraulic-Disc-B...d=p3286.c0.m14

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HotzKiss
    Try this, it is made of aluminium, light weight and no worry of cracking it again. Cool colour to match your bike

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hydraulic-Disc-B...d=p3286.c0.m14

Actually, that's pretty cool. Anybody (have you) tried/used one of those? I'm sure it would probably void any warranty from Shimano (although they're not the easiest to deal with anyway).

mtbr member
    May 2009
    like they would know... just keep the old one and if somthing needs warranty service swap them... done it a thousand times with other things

mtbr member
    I was looking for one to fix my slx then I found this, sadly only available for xt and xtr.

Can anyone tell me that it would fit the slx too?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have one in black on order...will report on quality when it arrives.

Members who have read this thread: 0