mtbr member

Couple of disc brake question ??

First, I want to clean my rotors and I would like to know what to use to clean them ? some alcohol ? what kind ?
    Would mineral spirit paint thinner work ?

Also, Should I take the rotors off or just keep them mounted on the wheels when I clean them ?

And third of all, I want to upgrade my discs, I have the Shimano Mechanical Disc (BR-M475), I thought they were doing just fine until I tried my friends hayes and avid, I found much more breaking power in them, my question is can I put a avid mech or hopes on my hubs ( Shimano Disc HB-M475 disc and
    Shimano Disc FH-M475 disc ) or do I have to change hubs, can I still use to shimano rotors and cables, I have avid levers so I guess I can keep them but what about the rotors and hubs ?

thanks

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Alcohol or dish soap both work for me.

Up to you if you want to remove them from the hub to clean them. All you're really looking for is a clean brake track, so removal isn't required unless you're also trying to clean all the nooks and crannies filled with dust on the back side between the hub and rotor. If you're doing that, it's not a bad idea to stock up on extra rotor mounting bolts. They're cheap enough and while the old ones are probably good to go, why chance snapping a head from repeated installations.

You probably could keep your old rotors, you may be able to reuse your old cable and housing, but (a) rotors come with the calipers unless you've got some special eBay or OEM setup you're looking at, and (b) a key factor in well-behaved mechanical disc brakes is a perfect cable run, so don't botch it by reusing your old cable and housing.

mtbr member
    thanks a lot, I think I'll keep them on and just use soap

About a new set up, I can keep the same hubs right ? as long as it's 6 bolts IS, right ?

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwood
    I can keep the same hubs right ? as long as it's 6 bolts IS, right ?
    You are correct.