mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Could my rotor be rubbing against my brakepads?

Hi everyone. When I am on my bike I notice a whirring noise when I reach a certain speed. As I gain more speed the noise becomes higher in pitch. Is this normal? When I turn my bike upside down the front wheel doesn't spin for very long before it stops, maybe 10 seconds. Is this normal? My back wheel seems like it would spin forever. So, now to my question. Does the whirring noise possibly have to do with my brakepads making contact with the rotor which would also be the reason that the front wheel doesn't spin as freely as my back wheel? If this is the case how can I adjust the pads? If this isn't the case what else could be the problem or is what I am describing normal. If it helps my brakeset is Avid Juicy 3''s. My brakes seem to stop very well. Thanks a lot!
    build a man a fire keep him warm for a day, set a man on fire keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Fall guy
    That sounds like the problem to me.

Lift the wheel and rotate it slowly while looking at the gap between the rotor and the brake pads to see if thats the problem.

If so Avid has directions on their site for centering the brake calipers.

Either your brake pads are rubbing a bit or you've got some wheel bearing issues. Easy to isolate, if it's the brakes follow the Avid instructions; if the wheel service it. The sound makes me think it's the brakes, though.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks alot for the replies
    build a man a fire keep him warm for a day, set a man on fire keep him warm for the rest of his life.