mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Cost efficient upgrade from xt 750 V brakes

I have a pair of xt 750 v brakes with plenty of wear left on the brake pads and new cables and I'm still looking for more stopping power. Are the XT 770 or xt760 brakes a big improvement? Other than the weight difference is their any clear advantage between the performance of these two brakes when you compare the xt 770 to the xt 760? Would I find even more stopping power with the xtr 960 or 970 brakes over the xt units or is it more of a reduced weight thing.

Meh.
    I think a different pad compound, fresh housing, and proper setup will give you plenty of power. If you don't care about modulation... You can use more spacers to push the arms farther apart.

mtbr member

Avid BB7's???

Quote Originally Posted by Zion Lion
    I have a pair of xt 750 v brakes with plenty of wear left on the brake pads and new cables and I'm still looking for more stopping power. Are the XT 770 or xt760 brakes a big improvement? Other than the weight difference is their any clear advantage between the performance of these two brakes when you compare the xt 770 to the xt 760? Would I find even more stopping power with the xtr 960 or 970 brakes over the xt units or is it more of a reduced weight thing.
    You may want to consider Avid Mechanical disc brakes, provided your frame, fork and wheelset can accept discs. You can retain your brake lever / shifter set up with Avid BB7's. The stopping power and modulation takes it to a whole new level over V brakes. However, if you are not already set up to handle discs, it will definitely cost more than a V brake upgrade. That aside, once you have tried discs, I doubt you will ever want to go back to V brakes (XC racer/weight weenies excepted).

mtbr member
    no, the 760 and 770 V-brakes are not an improvement. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that 960 and 970s are made from the same castings as 760 and 770s. Basically shimano hasn't put anything into V brakes in the last 5-6 years.

as mentioned above, pads and housings could make a difference. I'd be looking at HS-33s, it depends on your definition of cost efficient. No V brake will come close to modulation of HS-33s.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'd look into bb-7s also if you can, the '07s are actually quite cheap alot of places. The one I work at has them for $50 per brake (clearance), and there's always coupons coming and going.

also, for v's, try cleaning the braking surface of the rim real good. That's usually what I need to do for my commuter to regain lost power.