Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Former Bike Wrench
    Reputation: mtnbiker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,985

    Idea! Correct Spellings

    Its BRAKES not breaks

    And its DISC not disk

    Seems like these are such difficult words to spell, I thought I'd help out

  2. #2
    Five is right out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,177
    How could you start a thread like this and not reference MikeT's favourite word?

  3. #3
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,759
    actually disK is also correct for circular objects... but they can be used interchangeably

    disc /dɪsk/
    –noun
    1. a phonograph record.
    2. disk (defs. 1, 2, 4–9).
    –verb (used with object)
    3. Informal. to make (a recording) on a phonograph disc.
    4. disk (defs. 11, 12).

    disk /dɪsk/
    –noun
    1. any thin, flat, circular plate or object.
    2. any surface that is flat and round, or seemingly so: the disk of the sun.
    3. disc (def. 1).
    4. Computers. any of several types of media consisting of thin, round plates of plastic or metal, used for external storage: magnetic disk; floppy disk; optical disk.
    5. Botany, Zoology. any of various roundish, flat structures or parts.
    6. intervertebral disk.
    7. Botany. (in the daisy and other composite plants) the central portion of the flower head, composed of tubular florets.
    8. any of the circular steel blades that form the working part of a disk harrow.
    9. Mathematics. the domain bounded by a circle.
    10. Archaic. discus.
    –verb (used with object)
    11. Informal. disc (def. 3).
    12. to cultivate (soil) with a disk harrow.

  4. #4
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,709
    I will add the words stanchion, damping and ridiculous.

    If I never had to read "stanctions" again, I would be a little bit happier.

    As you know, it's also break not just brake. The spelling is correct, it's the misuse of homonymns that is irritating.

    JMH

  5. #5
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,815
    But disc brake is specific application of the spelling of disc (www.m-w.com)

    Main Entry: disc brake
    Function: noun
    a brake that operates by the action of a frictional material pressed against the sides of a rotating disc by a caliper

    ...even disc jockey has a variant disk jockey, but there's no variant in spelling listed for disc brake. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_brake


  6. #6
    A wheelist
    Reputation: Mike T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,563
    Quote Originally Posted by womble
    How could you start a thread like this and not reference MikeT's favourite word?
    Yeah I've got one main one and a few others.

    This is copied from my Magura Cult site (Members' Page; How to Join) -

    "........you MUST be able to spell the following brake-related words. You'd be surprised at the number of people who can't. - Hydraulic - Cylinder - Rotor - Brakes"

    I do have my standards.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

  7. #7
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,860
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    Yeah I've got one main one and a few others.

    ... Hydraulic -...

    I do have my standards.
    I thought it was Highdrawlick
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  8. #8
    Auto-x addict
    Reputation: VpointVick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    I will add the words stanchion, damping and ridiculous.

    If I never had to read "stanctions" again, I would be a little bit happier.

    As you know, it's also break not just brake. The spelling is correct, it's the misuse of homonymns that is irritating.

    JMH
    IMO, spellcheck is eating our nation's brains.

    So many these days simply rely on spellcheck to catch all of their errors that they don't even pay any attention to the homonyms. I've been seeing it more and more in magazines over the past couple of years (it was one of the only things I disliked about Flow, but it was enough of an irritant that I stopped buying it.), first with the smaller rags (Flow and Decline, etc.) but lately even MBA, Bike, Dwell... I even found a couple in a recent novel.

    Publishing doesn't even use proofreaders anymore? Or are the ones they're using just too stupid from relying on spellcheck.

  9. #9
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,860
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Its BRAKES not breaks

    And its DISC not disk

    Seems like these are such difficult words to spell, I thought I'd help out
    Actually, the words are spelled correctly but are the wrong word for the situation.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  10. #10
    A wheelist
    Reputation: Mike T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,563
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I thought it was Highdrawlick
    Only if you're from Texas. Then it's pronounced "Haiii-Drawwwl-ikk" with pauses at the hyphens.

    Where I originate from in the YouKay it's "Eye-drollik" (no hyphenic pause).
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

  11. #11
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,709
    I don't enjoy reading bike magazines for the same reasons. It's clear that grammar is no longer a focus for many editors.

    JMH


    Quote Originally Posted by VpointVick
    IMO, spellcheck is eating our nation's brains.

    So many these days simply rely on spellcheck to catch all of their errors that they don't even pay any attention to the homonyms. I've been seeing it more and more in magazines over the past couple of years (it was one of the only things I disliked about Flow, but it was enough of an irritant that I stopped buying it.), first with the smaller rags (Flow and Decline, etc.) but lately even MBA, Bike, Dwell... I even found a couple in a recent novel.

    Publishing doesn't even use proofreaders anymore? Or are the ones they're using just too stupid from relying on spellcheck.

  12. #12
    Five is right out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,177
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    actually disK is also correct for circular objects... but they can be used interchangeably
    Both disk and disc evolved in British English, so it's not a UK/US difference. Which spelling is used in which context seems more a matter of accepted convention than of 'correctness'. Disk is the more accepted with regards to hard drives. Disc is more common with brakes (and, confusingly, with CDs).

    I'm usually a bit of a spelling and grammar Nazi, but draw the line at disk/disc. This difference is utterly trivial and is neither indicator of education or poor moral fibre . Brakes/breaks on the other hand...

    Crisillo- just curious- how is it spelt in German?

  13. #13
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,759
    Quote Originally Posted by womble
    Crisillo- just curious- how is it spelt in German?
    disc/disk is "Scheibe" in german ("disco" in my mother tongue, Spanish)

  14. #14
    Five is right out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,177
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    disc/disk is "Scheibe" in german ("disco" in my mother tongue, Spanish)
    Disco? We should use that in English... it'd make conversations more entertaining. Check out the cool disco brakes on that rig!

  15. #15
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,759
    Quote Originally Posted by womble
    Disco? We should use that in English... it'd make conversations more entertaining. Check out the cool disco brakes on that rig!
    now that's an idea

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •