Poll: Correct way to mount fron brake cable

mtbr member

Correct Brake line routing for front

What is the correct way to run a front brake line?
    Last edited by Dremer03; 10-06-2009 at 11:13 AM.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i zip tie it to the arch and the only real ,kind of critical thing is to run the cable inside the fork leg, so if you drop thre bike or graze a tree or something the line doesn;t get grinded or pinched.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by herbn
    i zip tie it to the arch and the only real ,kind of critical thing is to run the cable inside the fork leg, so if you drop thre bike or graze a tree or something the line doesn;t get grinded or pinched.
    Basically what I did when I installed my first set of disc brakes. I did also zip tie the cable to the fork itself. I dont really think it makes a difference, thats just what I did. If you follow the link you can see what I did exactly.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/Vtolds/DSCN3043.jpg
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

I'm gonna have to kill ya
    depends if you have the lever on the correct (right ) side

mtbr member
    I've always run mine on the inside of the fork leg for some extra protection. I wouldn't want to lay the bike down in crash in a rocky section and have the hose crimped or pierced because it was exposed. Plus, I think that it looks cleaner.

toby

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by roybatty666
    depends if you have the lever on the correct (right ) side

I thought it depends on what side the QR lever is on..

bi-winning
    I put mine on the outside of the fork. I like it there. It curves nice and smoothly.

In 7 years or riding, and many crashes, I have never had a single problem with it being there.

I'm not saying on the inside is wrong, it's just not how I like mine to be.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    well,i didn't make this up, i havn't ripped a brake line open,but i have flattened one a bit ,on a dh bike i think and someone pointed out that they run the line on the inside of the fork for that reason, it can be run fairly smoothly along the inside.In fact i've toyed with the idea of running it through the steerer also,sort of a bmx thing,the opposite of a 29er thing. The brake line just seems kosy ,you zip it to the front near the top of the arch, run it around the tire up front and then snake it around the inside of the fork leg and back to the brake in a way that doesn't reduce tire/mud clearence,you wouldn't put a brake line on the outside of the fork leg on an enduro/motocross motorcycle where the bike is gonna get dropped and the weight of the bike could definitely wreck a brake line. Seems like there's at least one good reason to have the brake line on the inside of the fork leg,rather than just liking the way it looks on the outside.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've obviously heard of people having the front brake lever on the right side ,actually from an old (real old) roady that used to ride motorcycles. I never thought much about it ,my motorcycle years were a long time ago. Well two years ago i bought another motorcycle and have been riding it quite a bit. I still didn't feel it was really necessary for riding road or xc, then i came back to DH after a bit more than a year(broke leg on big DH jump) and i'm definitely considering it,several times at speed i found myself brake checking to remind myself not to drag the back brake on off camberd bridges,with boulder consequences(at diablo),i havn't switched the levers yet,but i can see why it might be a god idea.

Members who have read this thread: 8