mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Correct Adapter?

I have Avid Juicy 3's with 160mm rotors... someone gave me a 203mm Magura rotor (he had an avid as well, but my 575 won't take a 203 in the back). It looked dimensionally identical to the Avid, so I think it will work without problems... the problem is that I can't figure out what adapter I need to order to use this rotor on the front.

Fork is a Fox Float 32.

So far I've been able to figure out I need a post mount adapter... and that's about it.

I saw this: Avid Adapter - BB7 Disc Brake > Components > Brakes > Brake Adapters | Jenson USA and perhaps that is the thing to get? It says the screws shown are not included - will my stock screws not be long enough? Do these work just by spacing out the caliper further from the fork?

Thanks for any direction!

mtbr member
    That is the adapter you want.

Can't help you with the monting bolts though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    The adapter pictured is NOT the one you will get. The one in the picture is a 185mm post mount adapter. A pic of the 203mm adapter is shown below. You will need two sets of standard length mounting bolts, one set to bolt the adapter to the fork and one set (with CPS hardware) to mount the caliper to the adapter. The only Avid adapter that requires the longer bolts is the 185mm post mount. And that's because the caliper, CPS hardware and the adapter are all mounted in line, so the longer bolts are needed to insure sufficient bolt depth in the post mounts to prevent the whole assembly from tearing loose under braking.

Good Dirt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Correct Adapter?-203mm.jpg  

"I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Ah, ok. That makes sense. So I need to get two new bolts. I'm sure the LBS has 'em.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Well the picture is wrong, but the link is correct. The only option on that page is for the correct
    203 adapter.

Transition Blindside v5

New question here. "standard length mounting bolts, one set to bolt the adapter to the fork"

Quote Originally Posted by Squash View Post
    You will need two sets of standard length mounting bolts, one set to bolt the adapter to the fork and one set (with CPS hardware) to mount the caliper to the adapter.
    Hi, one more question about the "standard length mounting bolts, one set to bolt the adapter to the fork". So, just to reconfirm, do my 2 bolts currently used to hold the 203mm IS adapter work to hold this 203mm PM adapter (or are they too short/long)?

Basically I'm using '08 Juicy 7 203mm (IS) on '06 Fox VAN 36/RC2 160mm (IS) now, and wanting to use the brake on '11 Fox VAN 36/RC2 180mm (PM) next, with a purchase of this 203mm/PM adapter (bolts not included) shown above. Just wanting to make sure that I don't need to source any extra bolts.

Thanks,
    - PiroChu

PS.
    Just (belatedly) noticed that current Avid online tech manuals don't even list 203mm adapters anymore (IS or PM, except for Totem): eg. page 43. I guess it's all 200mm nowadays.