mtbr member

Cooked my Hope pads on the gas stove and WOW!

My front M4 brakes on my new bike would not break in even after 70 miles on the trails. I finally turned to mtbr.com and a search or two later I was at the gas stove with pliers and the pads over an open flame. One pad smoked when heated and the other did not. Looks like one of the pads got some oil on it when the bike was built.

I put the pads back on and after just 2 or 3 stops the brake now stops like a mofo. These things are a vice but I still have that Hope modulation.

The pads over an open flame trick work awesome for contaminated pads.

banned
    cool. how long did you have them over the fire for?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaco
    cool. how long did you have them over the fire for?
    I probably held them there for 5-10 seconds then pulled away to check for smoke. Then back in for 5-10 seconds. Probably did that 3-5 times each. I cooked the one which produced smoke a couple more times than the one that was clean.

I then placed them braking surface up on a wooden cutting board to cool. Cooling only took about 5 minutes. The cutting board now has some singe spots. Glad I did not use the plastic cutting board instead.

Popped them back in and went to the backyard for a test. After just 2-3 stops they started to really grab hard. I am anxious to hit the trails and actually have strong brakes again. My hardtail has Kool Stop pads on V-brakes and easily outbraked my new bike until now.

29 inches and Pissed Off!
    Quote Originally Posted by tubadude
    I probably held them there for 5-10 seconds then pulled away to check for smoke. Then back in for 5-10 seconds. Probably did that 3-5 times each. I cooked the one which produced smoke a couple more times than the one that was clean.

I then placed them braking surface up on a wooden cutting board to cool. Cooling only took about 5 minutes. The cutting board now has some singe spots. Glad I did not use the plastic cutting board instead.

Popped them back in and went to the backyard for a test. After just 2-3 stops they started to really grab hard. I am anxious to hit the trails and actually have strong brakes again. My hardtail has Kool Stop pads on V-brakes and easily outbraked my new bike until now.
    Any problem with the house smoke detecter?
    Dan C.
    CaptainKana.com
    Mountain Biking.....Cheaper than a mistress.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kana
    Any problem with the house smoke detecter?
    Dan C.
    They don't make very much smoke at all. Just a small stream came off of one for maybe 20-30 seconds tops then it was over. If they put off enough smoke to set off the smoke setectors then they would need to be soaked in tar.