Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Conveting from V-Brakes to Disk Brakes...need help/advice!

Alrighty so I'm wanting to go from v to disc brakes but I have no idea really what I'm looking at (other than a lot of high prices!). I do know that I'm going to have to get new wheels also, so the setup I was kinda looking at was Mavic Crossride UB 2011 wheelset and Avid BB7 brakes. Now that was really just based off of prices I saw on price point, so I have no real reason for picking those wheels, however I have gotten a lot of recommendation for the BB7 brakes. This is only going to be used for recreational trail riding so no need for the best or most expensive.

mtbr member
    BB7 are a good choice.

Wheels. I would look for wheels with Shimano Deore hubs M525 (these hubs cost only a little more than the M475 series hubs but smoother) you can find these laced to various rims Alex, WTB, Mavic etc etc. I like these because the wheels use normal spokes for easy repairs.

Shimano hubs come in two types 6 bolt and centre lock C/L. Make sure you buy the ones you want. Avid rotors are 6 bolt.

It might be cheaper to find a second hand bike with the parts you need than buying new parts. Since you only want the brakes/wheels bike size is not important.
    Last edited by mitzikatzi; 05-18-2012 at 06:55 PM.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    It might be cheaper to find a second hand bike with the parts you need than buying new parts. Since you only want the brakes/wheels bike size is not important.
    I like this idea, I also am considering convering to disc brakes, but did not want to pay as much as it would cost to just buy a whole bike for the conversion... looks like some time on craigslist and like sites are in my future.

Thanks for that great suggestion.

mtbr member
    craigslist is a good source if you're trying to keep cost down. a wheelset can be as cheap as like 50 bucks - just be careful you know what you're getting

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    HAHAHA, yea, I usually am.... that where I got my bike from, knew from the start it had a few small issues, fixed those and been good since. But once again, good advice, vk45de, know what you are getting into.

mtbr member

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonCJ14 View Post
    Alrighty so I'm wanting to go from v to disc brakes but I have no idea really what I'm looking at (other than a lot of high prices!). I do know that I'm going to have to get new wheels also, so the setup I was kinda looking at was Mavic Crossride UB 2011 wheelset and Avid BB7 brakes. Now that was really just based off of prices I saw on price point, so I have no real reason for picking those wheels, however I have gotten a lot of recommendation for the BB7 brakes. This is only going to be used for recreational trail riding so no need for the best or most expensive.
    and your bike already has the disc brake caliber mounts on the front and rear? (just making sure)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FLMike View Post
    and your bike already has the disc brake caliber mounts on the front and rear? (just making sure)
    Yes it does. Which I found interested because when I got into (and out of) biking back when I was in middle school/early high school (i'm a senior in college now), disc brakes were something that only serious racers had. Now that I'm starting back, it seems like even the little cheap run-of-the-mill bikes are coming with them. I feel like I'm riding an antique!

mtbr member
    Yes it does. Which I found interested because when I got into (and out of) biking back when I was in middle school/early high school (i'm a senior in college now), disc brakes were something that only serious racers had. Now that I'm starting back, it seems like even the little cheap run-of-the-mill bikes are coming with them. I feel like I'm riding an antique!
    There are some "horrible" low end disc brakes around. Good quality V brakes, pads and cables would be better.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    There are some "horrible" low end disc brakes around. Good quality V brakes, pads and cables would be better.
    Well I think I've decided the BB7 is the route I'm gonna go. Now I just gotta figure out what wheels I'm going to go with. I think I've decided though that centerlock isn't something I wanna deal with. 6-bolt seems to be the more hassle-free way to go.

mtbr member
    Well I think I've decided the BB7 is the route I'm gonna go. Now I just gotta figure out what wheels I'm going to go with. I think I've decided though that centerlock isn't something I wanna deal with. 6-bolt seems to be the more hassle-free way to go.
    Wheels are one part that is easy to swap to a new bike. Don't go too cheap. Cheap wheels can be very heavy.

mtbr member
    Wheels are one part that is easy to swap to a new bike. Don't go too cheap. Cheap wheels can be very heavy.
    What is "heavy" though? I have no reference...everything I'm looking at is 1900-2100 grams. Is that decent or what? I don't know what my current wheels would be, they're Deore LX wheels.

What about these: Easton XC One SS Wheelset at Price Point

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Those are single speed wheels.

I like MTB wheels with 32 or 36 normal spokes (plain or butted).

mtbr member
    Closer to $300 (and out of stock) Mountain-Bike-Wheels/Shimano-XT-WTB-Laserdisc-Trail-Wheel

or these but centre lock and 15mm front axle so no good for you I am guessing
    Mountain-Bike-Wheels/Shimano-XT-Centerlock-Mavic-717-Oe cheap at $190. Just to show you there are lots of bargains if you look hard enough.

mtbr member
    Closer to $300 (and out of stock) Mountain-Bike-Wheels/Shimano-XT-WTB-Laserdisc-Trail-Wheel

or these but centre lock and 15mm front axle so no good for you I am guessing
    Mountain-Bike-Wheels/Shimano-XT-Centerlock-Mavic-717-Oe cheap at $190. Just to show you there are lots of bargains if you look hard enough.
    So what mm do I need to be looking at? I was wondering that also.
    2001 Raleigh M80 Mountain Sport
    - Manitou Minute Expert fork
    - LX/XT components

mtbr member
    So what mm do I need to be looking at? I was wondering that also.
    Thru-axle-explanation-needed Thanks Google

mtbr member
    Ok so I have old LX wheels with the old school quick release skewers...so what size wheels would I have front and back? I'm guessing 9mm front but the rear is still confusing me.
    - LX/XT components

mtbr member
    Ok so I have old LX wheels with the old school quick release skewers...so what size wheels would I have front and back? I'm guessing 9mm front but the rear is still confusing me.
    Front QR 100mm axle spacing
    Rear QR 135mm

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I don't see where anyone has asked what bike frame and front shock (if applicable) you have. I know you say that you have the mounts but if it's an older mt bike (i.e., pre-'06) I don't think disc makes sense. Even if your front shock has the proper mounts, it is likely that it will not be up for the task and will flex a lot under hard braking. By the time you cost out the new wheels, rotors, brakes, adapters, and install you have exceeded the value of the bike. Make more sense to get a good used bike with disc setup. Just my 2 cents.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetta2010 View Post
    I don't see where anyone has asked what bike frame and front shock (if applicable) you have. I know you say that you have the mounts but if it's an older mt bike (i.e., pre-'06) I don't think disc makes sense. Even if your front shock has the proper mounts, it is likely that it will not be up for the task and will flex a lot under hard braking. By the time you cost out the new wheels, rotors, brakes, adapters, and install you have exceeded the value of the bike. Make more sense to get a good used bike with disc setup. Just my 2 cents.
    The bike is a 2001 Raleigh M80 but I just ordered a Manitou Minute Expert today. I know it's going to be a slightly expensive upgrade but the bike has a lot of sentimental value to it so I wanna keep it running well. So as long as the parts are out there I don't mind spending a little extra to keep it running.
    - LX/XT components

Heavylegs
    Apr 2012
    I did the same thing with an old friend. Installed new shock with disc mounts, used Avid bb7's (awsome) with Jaguar cables (a very inportant detail with mechanical disc) and a Mavic Cross Ride wheel. I kept the cost down by only doing the front and utilized v-brakes in the rear (after all we use 70-80% front brake ) works great. Remember GOOD cables. Good place to seek help from would be lbs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redd4573 View Post
    I did the same thing with an old friend. Installed new shock with disc mounts, used Avid bb7's (awsome) with Jaguar cables (a very inportant detail with mechanical disc) and a Mavic Cross Ride wheel. I kept the cost down by only doing the front and utilized v-brakes in the rear (after all we use 70-80% front brake ) works great. Remember GOOD cables. Good place to seek help from would be lbs
    How's he liking those wheels?
    - LX/XT components

Heavylegs
    Apr 2012
    My old freind is an old Trek 7000 and WE like em.

mtbr member
    My old freind is an old Trek 7000 and WE like em.
    Oh haha I thought you just HELPED an old friend the same thing...
    - LX/XT components

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Now there is an idea, only do the front setup for disc... Something else for me to consider.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast