mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Converting to 140mm rears

Anyone done it?

Right now I have 965 XTR Dual Control and would like to convert to 140mm rear (SMRT97SS)

It looks as though I can run a BR-M965-F caliper and that will give me the size I need for the smaller rear rotor.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Correct, the front caliper in the rear will bring the size down to 140mm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for the reply. No issues running front calipers in the rear? Or rear calipers in the front?

mtbr member
    I run an m965 rear caliper on my front fork. Allows me run a 180mm disc without the need for an adapter - looks neat and tidy and is lighter set-up to boot.. I have no issues whatsoever. I suspect you won't have any issues running the front caliper on the rear.
    Never cross a river because it is on average 4 feet deep.

Meh.
    I'm running a m965 160mm front caliper on the rear to fit a 140mm rear rotor. It works fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks.

Any special tips on replacing the caliper besides bleed, bleed, bleed?

Meh.
    Use a new barb and compression olive. Bleed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Can you explain a little more what the barb and compression olive are?

Compression olive sounds self-explanitory. Barb?

Thanks

Meh.
    A barb is inserted into the end of a hose. Both are used to help seal the connection.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for the reply. I did find a schematic of the caliper. It seems the olive and barb are employed at the brake handle end and there are only o-rings on the caliper side of things.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830609096.pdf

mtbr member
    Assuming bkish uses the same cable and doesn't need to modify it's length, why would he need a new barb and compression olive? He wouldn't even need to disconnect the olive side of the cable from the lever. Basically, the process I used in changing calipers is simply to disconnect the hose from the old caliper and attach the new one, then bleed.
    Never cross a river because it is on average 4 feet deep.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

140 to 160mm

I'm trying to do the complete opposite. Change from 140 to 160 with an XTR 975 Dual Control. Does anyone know if I need a new caliper or just an adaptor?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have completed the change over to the 140 rear. An interesting exercise for a 60 (?) gram weight savings. Didn't cost me anything except $14 for the rotor from Santa Cruz.

I have 3 rides on the new set up and have noticed a bit less power but mostly I notice less modulation. It's not bad, just different.

Not sure why you would lose power with a smaller rotor becase the pad/rotor contact area and tire to ground braking surfaces are the same for 140 and 160. I can see more fade becase a smaller rotor cannot dissipate heat as readily, but from a mechanical standpoint the actual friction surfaces (rotor/pad and tire/ground) are the same for 140 and 160.

I think to change from 140's even with 975 you would need a new caliper. I can see no way an adaptor would work.

Meh.
    The moment lever arm is smaller. It's the same reason a larger rotor has "more power."

I noticed it was easier to control the brake with the smaller rotor.

A +20mm IS to IS adapter may be able to be mounted. If it's a post mount caliper, only a new adapter is needed.