mtbr member

Convert U Brake to V Brake?

I have an older 80s vintage mountain bike frame with an under the chain stays U brake. I'm building it up as my beater/ ride with the kids bike. I want to replace the front canti with a V brake and want to know if I can also do anything with the rear U brake?

Looking at it I don't think I could fit a V brake onto the bosses. Anyone do it?

You probably can't as the bosses on the frame are not at the right place for V brakes... but for a beater bike, decent brakes up front and crappier brakes on the rear should be fine, you are not building a high performance machine.

All 26.5" all the time!
    The bad news: There is no way to retrofit V brakes to U brake studs. 1- As said, they're in the wrong place in relation to the rim. 2- The diameter of the posts are too large. 3- There are no spring anchor holes.

The good news: U brakes, when adjusted properly, are every bit as good (maybe better) as V brakes in the stopping department. The downsides to U brakes are weight, mud clearance, and higher than average mechanical skills are required to set them up properly.

mtbr member
    if you are willing to put the brakes on top of the seat stays, you could do something like this....

You just have to have the hole in the seatstay gusset thing. I've drilled holes in frames that don't have them as well. (That is made for BMX bikes, I dont know if it will work?)

As for V-Brakes on U-Brake mounts, It won't work. But there is nothing wrong with U brakes either. I still think the v brake power is superior, but U brakes are easily stoppable. Might have a little trouble finding cables but I know that the site above sells them. They also sell U brakes but those are also for BMX

p.s.....if you buy from the link above I have a free shipping code for orders over $30. PM for it.
    Singlespeed since September 24, 2006.