...Of Trails...
    Jan 2011

Contaminated pads/discs?

I was recently servicing my forks, and at some point I must have gotten oil on my brake rotor. The performance has dropped to about 5 percent of what it used to be, and there is a slight groan at low speeds. I've cleaned my disc with methylated spirits, but that didn't do much, so I tried taking out the pads and resurfaceing them, and cleaning the disc again. Still no better. Will I need to buy new pads or a new disc, or can I perform some DIY servicing and return my brakes to their former glory? I'm running Deore XT's on 2pc 8inch rotors.

b a n n e d
    Definitely search the brake forums as there are several methods (the frying pan comes to mind).

I can't say if you'll need new pads or not, but you definitely don't need a new rotor just because you got stuff on them. Just use 90% ISO Alcohol on the rotors. As for the pads . . . I'm of the opinion to just buy new ones when they get contaminated . . . just make sure you lightly sand the rotors perpendicular to the brake track and bed them in properly if you get new ones.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

...Of Trails...
    Jan 2011
    Ok, thanks. Any idea on the grain you should use for the rotors?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    everything 007 said!!
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAllCreator View Post
    Ok, thanks. Any idea on the grain you should use for the rotors?
    Any medium (150) grit will do. You just want to remove the old pad material and create a new surface to bed the pads.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!