mtbr member

Contaminated Pad

On the trails i decided let some air out from the neg chamber of my Revelation (recently got them so still tweaking the settings). Uh oh i guess you know where this is headed. Stupidly i depressed the air valve and did not cover the rotor, so a bit of oil sprayed on it. I had nothing but water on me and tissues, so all i could do was put a bit of water on the tissues and clean the rotor. I knew this wouldn't completely clean the rotor but i had to keep riding. I did notice a decrease in braking power - it took more force to lock the wheel but i didn't feel it to be much different under normal riding.

So what does this mean, is this death to the pad and i should get a new one? Or did cleaning the rotor cause only minor contamination and the pads will break in again or something?
    Last edited by peternguyen; 11-01-2008 at 08:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    You could try cleaning the bits with isopropyl alcohol. Sanding the pads down could remove some minor contamination. Otherwise contaminated pads go in the trash

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'd avoid sanding since it embeds grit into the pads which can needlessly chew the rotor.

You can also try chucking them in the dishwasher (if they're metal sintered dunno about organic) and they come out squeaky clean since there's major grease cutting action going on in there.

Of course this would be after you wipe them down with alcohol and wash them with soap just to be safe. LOL.

mtbr member
    Well just went and bought some isopropanol (till now i've been using dish washing detergent). I went a cleaned the rotors thoroughly, practically polished the rotor with the stuff. Strangely, this seemed to have reversed the braking power, of BOTH brakes. It was feeling like when i first got my brakes and it hadn't broking in yet, only a HEAPS more squeaky.

So i thought ill try use the dish washing detergent again. Cleaned the rotors again with it, and strangely again, this had REVERTED my brakes to its original peak stopping power, AND made it extremely quiet.

Man, i'm confused now. Thought isopropanol was better to use, or maybe it was the combination of the isopropanol and dish washing soap after.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by peternguyen
    Well just went and bought some isopropanol (till now i've been using dish washing detergent). I went a cleaned the rotors thoroughly, practically polished the rotor with the stuff. Strangely, this seemed to have reversed the braking power, of BOTH brakes. It was feeling like when i first got my brakes and it hadn't broking in yet, only a HEAPS more squeaky.

So i thought ill try use the dish washing detergent again. Cleaned the rotors again with it, and strangely again, this had REVERTED my brakes to its original peak stopping power, AND made it extremely quiet.

Man, i'm confused now. Thought isopropanol was better to use, or maybe it was the combination of the isopropanol and dish washing soap after.
    There is a break in period for most brakes and the pads have to leave some residue behind on the rotor for full power to begin. You cleaned that off with the IPA and and the soap may have done nothing.

My experience with sintered pads (not sure with organics) is most contaminants can be "cooked" out. Being the cheap basturd I am I used to bake then in the toaster (black toast setting) rather than chuck them. Being the lazy azz I'm now, I just ride them and drag the brakes and cook them super hot. Squeal usually cut down pretty good after 1 ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    There is a break in period for most brakes and the pads have to leave some residue behind on the rotor for full power to begin. You cleaned that off with the IPA and and the soap may have done nothing.
    The soap must have done something, because after using the IsA the brakes were 'weak', straight after that i use the dish washing soap and as soon as i used the soap the brakes regained power again. But either way, the brakes appear to be functioning like they were before which is good.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    You cleaned that off with the IPA and and the soap may have done nothing.
    you used pale ale?

I've had the best luck with brakeleen. Makes sense, huh?