mtbr member
    Sep 2012

contaminated brakes

How do i know if my brakes are contaminated? I changed my brake cable at the LBS and they adjusted it. The brakes have almost now wear on them but they just dont grip. Someone told me they might be contaminated. How can i resolve that? should i just buy new pads?

Ridin' Furry
    Try wiping your rotor clean with a clean cloth and rubbing alcohol first and make sure your brakes are properly set up.

You would have to change Rotor if it was contaminated with oil otherwise you will just recontaminate new pads. What did your LBS have to say?

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    there are over 100 threads answering this same question. go read all of those. they contain very good information that people will not come in here to retype for the 101st time. you will find your perfect solution.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskywolf View Post
    Try wiping your rotor clean with a clean cloth and rubbing alcohol first and make sure your brakes are properly set up.

You would have to change Rotor if it was contaminated with oil otherwise you will just recontaminate new pads. What did your LBS have to say?
    They didn't have much too say. Aside from trying too sell me new pads. Not sure I'm going too be using them in the future. I feel like they don't take me seriously just because I don't have a $4000 bike.

I went ahead and removed the pads, wiped the rotors with alcohol, and torched the pads and dipped in water and repeated a couple times. Then I lightly sanded the pads and adjusted the calipers. Works great now. I'm actually able too Lock up my rear wheel now if I want to which I was never able too do before.
    Last edited by JFaur; 10-25-2012 at 01:46 PM.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    you did it perfectly.