offroader
    Dec 2008

Contaminated Brake Pads?

I have a pair of Hayes Stroker Trails (that I purchased off ebay) and I was getting no stopping from them and they howled like a banshee when I clamped down on the levers. When I took it to the bike ship they mech told me the pads where probably contaminated with brake fluid and that I would have to get new ones.

My question is, is there any why to clean the pads to make them work again or are they really FUBAR and the nice guy at the shop was telling me?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava
    I have a pair of Hayes Stroker Trails (that I purchased off ebay) and I was getting no stopping from them and they howled like a banshee when I clamped down on the levers. When I took it to the bike ship they mech told me the pads where probably contaminated with brake fluid and that I would have to get new ones.

My question is, is there any why to clean the pads to make them work again or are they really FUBAR and the nice guy at the shop was telling me?
    I had a similar situation. I used a pair of pliars to hold them over the open flame from my stove. The contaminants burned off and the pads were good as new.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    hmm...

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bikenut316
    I had a similar situation. I used a pair of pliars to hold them over the open flame from my stove. The contaminants burned off and the pads were good as new.
    Thank you. This has got to be one of the single best solutions I have ever found online for anything. Aside from leaving a room full of toxic fumes from heating the pads, this totally worked.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    A bit of isopropyl alcohol aswell will work nicely. Avaliable at any pharmacy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle-mofo
    A bit of isopropyl alcohol aswell will work nicely. Avaliable at any pharmacy.
    Yes, you are right, if you meant to soak the pads in the alcohol and then ignite it. But as the contaminant soaks into the pads, cleaning the surface with alcohol only removes what's on the surface.

Tim

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat
    Yes, you are right, if you meant to soak the pads in the alcohol and then ignite it. But as the contaminant soaks into the pads, cleaning the surface with alcohol only removes what's on the surface.

Tim
    Yea my pads were pretty drunk with DOT4. I tried to use sand paper and alcohol but that didn't work. The flames were the key. Just don't breath too much of the vapor that comes from the pads when you heat them. I think they cause cancer in mice.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    thats why I do it outside.
    dont forget to clean the rotor (with alcohol & scotchbrite, no torch) or you could re contaminate them