Tribe Member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Confused!!! Shimano disc brakes - centerlock vs 6 bolt

Ok...I plead stupid.

I have a set of Crossmax SL's with 6 bolt. Wanting to get some Shimano XT or XTR disc brakes.

So will any of the Shimano disc brakes work or are there specific models for each that will only work with CL and 6 bolt?

Any help or clarification would be very helpful. I have tried to search through here but cant seem to find the answers that I am looking for and the FAQ did not have this as part of the options.

Thanks
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

Meh.
    The calipers are all the same. Centerlock and 6 bolt refers to the rotor. You MUST use a 6 bolt rotor on the Crossmax hubs. There is no adapter to allow you to use centerlock rotors on ISO hubs. Shimano still has 6 bolt rotors available, but I don't think that they have the carrier like the XTR rotors.

Tribe Member
    XSL,
    So if I just make sure that I am using shimano 6 bolt rotors, everything should be fine?

I did just find the sticky and someone there was saying that centerlock rotors did not work with Avid BB7's.

Just want to make sure that my purchase will not end up on ebay

Thanks again
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

MTBR Demi-God
    If you are using Shimano 6 bolt rotors with Shimano calipers, you are all set.

Shimano rotors used in conjunction with other brand calipers are not going to work well.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

Meh.
    Don't use Shimano rotors with any other brand brake (unless it has a very narrow pad width). But feel free to use most any rotor with the Shimano calipers.

r99
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Why wont XTR rotors work well with avid brakes?

MTBR Demi-God
    Quote Originally Posted by r99
    Why wont XTR rotors work well with avid brakes?
    This is why:
    Using Shimano Centerlock (or any other) rotors with another brand caliper

Its the sticky posted on the Brake Time forum.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

r99
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Will the Magura centrlock rotors work with avid Juicy brakes? What about these rotors: http://www.bti-usa.com/item.asp?item...wSec=0&filter=
    It wouldnt cost me much more to get these rotors instead of the DT centerlock to standard adapter.