mtbr member

Compressionless housing - or not?

I've found a lot on this subject in this forum but still not clear which would be the best choice. When replacing my old brake cable housing, not sure which to use - compressionless housing or the spiral type.
    The bike is a Stumpy hardtail and the brakes are XTR V-brakes. The original housing supplied is compressionless but I'm not convinced that is the best choice.
    Any input appreciated.

nnn
    mtbr member
    A far as I can remember you have to use compressible housing for brakes, but I may be lying through my teeth

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nnn
    A far as I can remember you have to use compressible housing for brakes, but I may be lying through my teeth
    I think you mean NOT to use derailleur housing for the brakes beacuse it will blow out.
    There are "compressionless" housings like Nokon and Aztec Powerlines which are fine for use with brakes.

Meh.
    There is also linear housing designed specifically to work with brakes. They are usually for BMX bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm happy with the Jagwire Ripcord brake cables. Work smoothly and have a slightly more solid feel than the usual spiral housing. Not a huge dramatic difference though. I will buy them again.
    '15 Giant Anthem SX - '01 Schwinn Homegrown Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona Jake the Snake

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

As long as you use....

brake specific housing your okay. The problem with the linear housing that is not specifically for brakes is it compresses between the ferrules as you apply pressure to the brake levers. This gives a mushy feel to the brakes and reduces braking power by obsorbing a percentage of the force that is applied to the brakes through that compression of the housing. Plus the action of the housing compressing will "blow through" the ends of plastic ferrules, and can lead to cracks and blowouts of the outer shell of the housing when metal ferrules are used. When this happens you have no brakes as the inner liner and brake cable simply bulge out of the cracked housing between the linear cables when the lever is squeezed. Not a good thing to have happen! So technically all housing suitable for use with brakes is compressionless whether they use a linear, spiral wrap, or some other method of severly limiting or eliminating compression of the housing. I change out my cables and housing once a year (more if needed) so I use bulk Jagwire housing for both shift and brake cables. It works just fine and is cheaper than the fancy stuff that doesn't get you that much more cable and/or housing life anyway.

Anyway, no matter the brand of housing that you use or the method of construction the manufacturer uses, just make sure you don't substitute derailleur housing for brake housing and you'll be fine. The longest lived stuff that I've ever used for brakes has been Avid Flak Jackets. It's kind of a pain to set up. But I've gotten as much as two full seasons out them. But for what the Flack Jacket kits cost I can get 2 cable and housing changes for the same money. And I haven't found anything that performs that much better. At least not enough better to make a switch. Your choice!

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"