mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Compressionless housing for brake cables

Howdy,

I was shopping for some cheap brake housing on Nashbar, picked the cheapest they had, like 3.50 a set with free shipping, and received a pair of compressionless kevlar-enforced Jagwire cables which l think is Ripcord.

I need this for v-brakes and Jagwire says to use their noodles with a "pop-adapter", whatever the name means. So having the cables already I ordered a pair from Jensons and now puzzled what this pop-adapter thingy is. The ferrule that sits on the end of the noodle that the housing is going into is exactly the same size as the ones that came with the brakes, perhaps it is of a slightly better quality, is this what it is all about?

Anyhow, I'm mostly concerned with safety, can this housing be safely used for brake lines? Jagwire says yes but I'm kind of hesitant as normally compressionless is more failure prone than standard. Thanks for any input.

V.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Let me make sure I'm reading you correctly:

You have Nashbar brake housing, Jagwire brake cable, and now a Jagwire POP adapter?

The POP adapter is for Kevlar compressionless housing. It has a beefier cross section where the housing seats in the noodle, and I believe an inner wiper to keep dirt out of the housing.

The POP adapter is not necessary for the conventional sprial wound Nashbar housing you bought. In fact, I'm not quite sure I'd call it "necessary" for Kevlar housing.

Since you have it, there's no reason not to use it.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Let me make sure I'm reading you correctly:

You have Nashbar brake housing, Jagwire brake cable, and now a Jagwire POP adapter?

The POP adapter is for Kevlar compressionless housing. It has a beefier cross section where the housing seats in the noodle, and I believe an inner wiper to keep dirt out of the housing.

The POP adapter is not necessary for the conventional sprial wound Nashbar housing you bought. In fact, I'm not quite sure I'd call it "necessary" for Kevlar housing.

Since you have it, there's no reason not to use it.
    Sorry for confusion, I received Jagwire Kevlar-enforced housing with cables, not sure if the latter are Jagwire, but most likely are. I wanted plain spiral housing actually but got the Jagwire and also bought noodles with POP-adapters separately as recommended by Jagwire. My problem with POP adapters is that they are pretty much the same as the stadard ones that came with v-brakes, so I think they are a waste of money even in case of Kevlar housing. As you say I will use them since I have them now. My other concern was safety, compressionless housing is not as strong as spiral wound, so I'm kinda hesitant to use it. I guess Kevlar does the trick but wanted to double check if others had any problems with this type of housing.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    The Kevlar makes for a strong dual-use housing. The beefed up housing seats on the POP adapters probably just keep the Kevlar weave from unraveling where it's cut -- that's probably the weak point compared to sprial windings.

My problem with it was how stiff it was -- I run full length housing with drilled out cable stops, and it didn't deal well with bends from the main frame to the rear triangle; tried to "push through" under compression. Broken housing probably wouldn't have been an issue.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN