mtbr member

Composite Brake Rotors

Most of the high end performance cars and motorcycles are now offering composite brake rotors as upgrades, has that made it's way into the cycling industry?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't be hasty.
    Jun 2007
    Not enough heat generated to warrant the design and cost, I would imagine.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Not quite what you described but pretty trick

http://www.carbon-ti.com/index.php?link=products

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I think it would have to be for a DH only application, and only for super-alpine runs for it to work properly. Carbon brakes need a lot of heat to generate the same bite and power as steel rotors, which is fine on a racing car doing repetitive stops from 150-70 and back up again, but on a bike, especially XC, it won't be worth it.

mtbr member

I found some... has anyone tried these?

I actually found some composite brake rotors, and they aren't cheap at $165 each but they only weight 65g! NOT BAD! Has anyone tried these?

The heart of Scrub Components is our superlight disc brake rotors. Our rotors are built one at a time from metal-matrix composite sheet.

Our metal-matrix composite is used in other industries for racing applications like sport bikes and snowmobiles, but there is currently nothing like it available for your mountain bike. Our material is only manufactured in a few places in the world, and is very expensive to produce. True to the vision of Scrub, we wanted to take a no compromise approach to all of the products we sell!

While the material is the star of the show, we also didnít cut corners during manufacturing. Each piece is precision machined to ensure a flat braking surface, smooth outside edges, and solid bolt holes. Even the graphics and finish are like nothing youíve ever seen on a disc rotor before!
    My Mojo http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=477532

When only the finest will do... www.iClique.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iClique
    I actually found some composite brake rotors, and they aren't cheap at $165 each but they only weight 65g! NOT BAD! Has anyone tried these?

The heart of Scrub Components is our superlight disc brake rotors. Our rotors are built one at a time from metal-matrix composite sheet.

Our metal-matrix composite is used in other industries for racing applications like sport bikes and snowmobiles, but there is currently nothing like it available for your mountain bike. Our material is only manufactured in a few places in the world, and is very expensive to produce. True to the vision of Scrub, we wanted to take a no compromise approach to all of the products we sell!

While the material is the star of the show, we also didnít cut corners during manufacturing. Each piece is precision machined to ensure a flat braking surface, smooth outside edges, and solid bolt holes. Even the graphics and finish are like nothing youíve ever seen on a disc rotor before!
    Post a link in the weight weenie forum, theres a few guys thave have them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    in motor vehicle applications, i imagine the primary design goal for composite rotors is unsprung weight reduction, not improved heat dissipation. i can't imagine either case being usefully applicable to a bicycle.
    Last edited by dookie; 12-07-2008 at 03:44 PM.

I think we should go back
    Nov 2008
    Why do you have that avatar? iclique is that what you look at all day LOL

bike rider
    Composite rotors are used on cars and motos because they handle heat better, have great friction properties, and weigh a lot less than large, thick rotors made of iron. The weight difference is less drastic on motos and bicycles but I predict they will be made for bikes in the next few years. On street car applications they have refined rotor and pad formulas in recent years so that they work well at all temperatures. 7" carbon rotors would be pretty sweet on a DH bike.
    Carbon is the only light rotor material that doesn't give up friction properties or durability. This includes the MMC Scrub rotors.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drain bamage
    Why do you have that avatar? iClique is that what you look at all day LOL
    Well since you asked, iClique is my company. Take a look... I get to photograph beautiful women all day long!

Carlos
    iClique

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    Composite rotors are used on cars and motos because they handle heat better, have great friction properties, and weigh a lot less than large, thick rotors made of iron.
    ... I recall something about carbon dust, in connection with Formula 1 cars. Anybody know if that is an issue? Carbon and resin dust in the lungs, or blood circulation through the fingers, is not exactly beneficial.

bike rider
    Regular disc brake pads put out dust as well.

used to be uno-speedo....

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Carbon Brake rotors will not work for a street application much less on a bicycle. If anyone is familiar with MotoGP which is the F1 of motorcycle racing I'll use them as an example. MotoGP bikes run carbon brake rotors in dry conditions but when it rains they go back to good old steel or some type of metal rotor. It takes a huge amount of heat for carbon rotors to work properly. I don't think you will see them on a bicycle any time soon.

mtbr member
    Has anyone seen these anywhere? Who makes these? Are they real? What type of pads would you need to use these? They look like they'd be pretty light... weight?

...idios...
    "Has anyone seen these anywhere? "

There's a picture of of one in your last post. Where did you get it from?

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

The disc is from a company called Gator Brakes but they don't indicate them on their website.

banned
    I would be more impressed if I saw that rotor in actual use than in a cabinet.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    that carbon thing has 260 mm on it. What fork out now can take that kind of torque without getting all screwy.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yep your job rocks, I just teach english to kids in asia... very jealous

MTBR Contributing Editor
    Quote Originally Posted by iClique

I am using and testing these rotors curently. There are pretty sweet and extremely light:

I had just added these in a 180/160 combination to my 29er using Marta SL brakes. After breaking them in over 2 rides I took them out on the Pueblo South Shore trail which has some tough quick grab a huge handful of brakes type of technical moves along with light feathering in the wicked stuff, and they did extremely well. They would make an occasional noise here and there but were quiet for as much abuse, torture, and fade I was subjecting them to. So far a great and extremely light weight product.

180mm 65.2g
    160mm 57.5g

Final review in a couple of weeks, as soon as the Colorado temp's warm up, and the snow melts a bit!

mtbr member
    Here's some other nice ones I saw online. Has anyone tried these?

MTBR Contributing Editor
    At $450-500 (maybe more now?) a rotor I doubt there are many people who have tried them.