• 01-13-2013
    Shalom
    Comparison of Hope Tech vs Race lever
    I have tried the search function, but not found exactly what I am looking for.

Has anyone got time on both the Hope tech and race lever? How are they different in feel?

Going to a race lever, you loose the easy adjustability as well as the flip-flop lever design. But is that adjustability needed? How does the lever feel? Is it smooth? Do you miss the ability to tweak the setup just the way you want it?

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers! :thumbsup:
  • 01-13-2013
    Fix the Spade
    The race lever is just like a mini version of the old Hope (and Shimano) brake levers. The feel is much the same as them (firm, bite point about 1/3rd the way through travel normally), the body is very dinky but the actual lever is quite broad under your finger. It's very good for people with small hands as you can set them close to the bar.

I had a set of Race X2s and now have two set of Tech X2s. If I were buying again I'd probably buy the Race Versions, the Tech lever is reassuringly big, but the adjustment is something that you'll do once then leave alone forever. With the Tech lever you need fairly wide handlebars, to have it in a comfortable position for your fingers it'll end up at least a couple centimetres from the edge of the grip.
  • 01-13-2013
    Shalom
    Cool. Thanks for that. As far as adjustment goes, is there any with the race lever? Even just allen key/grub screw kind of thing? Or is it just a case of live with the lever as is?
    [EDIT - never mind, just found the tech sheet saying that lever reach is adjustable]

The modulation of the race is still good then? (Sorry, been a while since I have ridden anything but Tech levers!)
  • 01-13-2013
    Fix the Spade
    The feel from the lever and modulation is pretty much identical to the Techs, I only got rid of mine because I sold the bike.
  • 01-13-2013
    Shalom
    Great, thanks for the information, FtS! :thumbsup:
  • 01-13-2013
    mazspeed
    You get about 15 percent more power from the tech lever. Plus the adjustability. I like it much better for am riding. I also feel as if i get more modulation from the tech.
  • 01-13-2013
    Shalom
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    You get about 15 percent more power from the tech lever. Plus the adjustability. I like it much better for am riding. I also feel as if i get more modulation from the tech.

Don't both get the redesigned pivot? If not, then that is a deal breaker.

The modulation is key too - these would be going on a single speed, so lighter weight is a consideration, but not something I am hung up on. I guess I am trying to find out if the main difference between them is the adjustability loss on the race - so if the feel of both is similar and the stock bite point is good enough.....
  • 01-13-2013
    mazspeed
    The redesign is for the race version, unless they came out with a new tech lever really recently, but it's still 15 percent down on the tech lever for power. I was running at the time a v2 front and a x2 evo rear, and used both levers and liked the tech lever better. I have decent sized hands and wanted to extend the lever out a bit. I like the modulation better as well, but that's a bit closer, but power was key with me. I was more comfortable doing one finger braking from the tech. In fact its the best lever around in my book for any brake.
  • 01-14-2013
    Shalom
    Quote:

The redesign is for the race version, unless they came out with a new tech lever really recently, but it's still 15 percent down on the tech lever for power. I was running at the time a v2 front and a x2 evo rear, and used both levers and liked the tech lever better. I have decent sized hands and wanted to extend the lever out a bit. I like the modulation better as well, but that's a bit closer, but power was key with me. I was more comfortable doing one finger braking from the tech. In fact its the best lever around in my book for any brake.

Thanks mazspeed. Yeah, I love the tech levers too. Was just considering this as it was still Hope. Looks like I will be sticking with the tech lever though.

All help was much appreciated, mtbr'rs. Thanks!
  • 01-14-2013
    StanleyJ
    Quote:

Hate to be pedantic, as both the Tech EVO and Race EVO levers got the +15% extra power over their respective older versions.

Old Tech lever: http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modul...l-exploded.PDF
    Tech EVO lever: http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modul...ylexploded.pdf

The Tech EVO lever gets the extra power via a revised cam.

Old Race lever: http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modul...lodedview1.pdf
    Race EVO lever: http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modul...ylexploded.pdf

The Race EVO lever looks identical... however if you look closely, the pivot holes on the EVO blades vs. the old ones for the piston are ever so slightly closer.

So that's the geometry changes in the lever design. Then there's the basic fact the Race lever (either version) moves less oil than the Tech lever (again, either version)... so Physics dictates there is more mechanical advantage when using the Race lever over the Tech lever on the same callipers. Hopes own braking forces chart bears this out: http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modul...selectorp2.pdf

A "Race (EVO) X2" has ~5% more power than a "Tech (EVO) X2"... and a "Race (EVO) M4" has ~4% more power than a "Tech (EVO) M4".

The lack of pushed oil volume is also why the Race levers cannot drive V2/V4 callipers in a satisfactory manner. Yes observant ones amongst use will say the Trails brake is a Race lever with a V2 calliper... however the calliper has magnets and magnetic pistons to help the brake-pads retract! ;)

Back on which levers... I actually use Race M4s and have only squished Tech levers at LBS showroom bikes. I personally prefer the feel of the Race levers over the Tech ones (Techs are still good though!), and you can indeed adjust the reach on the Race levers via an allen screw. Hand-size doesn't really come into it (IMO) as both are 1-digit brakes... so it's more a case of how weight-weenie are you and/or need the flip-flopness of the Tech levers. Or just place love the chunky industrial look of the Techs and lusting after some V4s. :cool::thumbsup:
  • 01-14-2013
    mazspeed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyJ View Post
    Hate to be pedantic, as both the Tech EVO and Race EVO levers got the +15% extra power over their respective older versions.

Old Tech lever: http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modul...l-exploded.PDF
    Tech EVO lever: http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modul...ylexploded.pdf

The Tech EVO lever gets the extra power via a revised cam.

Old Race lever: http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modul...lodedview1.pdf
    Race EVO lever: http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modul...ylexploded.pdf

The Race EVO lever looks identical... however if you look closely, the pivot holes on the EVO blades vs. the old ones for the piston are ever so slightly closer.

So that's the geometry changes in the lever design. Then there's the basic fact the Race lever (either version) moves less oil than the Tech lever (again, either version)... so Physics dictates there is more mechanical advantage when using the Race lever over the Tech lever on the same callipers. Hopes own braking forces chart bears this out: http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modul...selectorp2.pdf

A "Race (EVO) X2" has ~5% more power than a "Tech (EVO) X2"... and a "Race (EVO) M4" has ~4% more power than a "Tech (EVO) M4".

The lack of pushed oil volume is also why the Race levers cannot drive V2/V4 callipers in a satisfactory manner. Yes observant ones amongst use will say the Trails brake is a Race lever with a V2 calliper... however the calliper has magnets and magnetic pistons to help the brake-pads retract! ;)

Back on which levers... I actually use Race M4s and have only squished Tech levers at LBS showroom bikes. I personally prefer the feel of the Race levers over the Tech ones (Techs are still good though!), and you can indeed adjust the reach on the Race levers via an allen screw. Hand-size doesn't really come into it (IMO) as both are 1-digit brakes... so it's more a case of how weight-weenie are you and/or need the flip-flopness of the Tech levers. Or just place love the chunky industrial look of the Techs and lusting after some V4s. :cool::thumbsup:

Hey Stan. Yeah I saw all that stuff. Tom at Hope is the one who told me that the tech lever is more powerful by 15 percent over the race. He said that there was no change to the tech lever, but when i spoke to him, that was about 4-5 months ago, or whenever the v4 came out. The race lever under went the changes. I could be wrong on that, but from what I remember thats what he had told me at that time. Yeah i think you and I discussed the tech v race before? Anyways I do much prefure the techs. But the race is good too. Yeah i dont think the race will work with v4 stuff though.

I might tell someone that the race lever is more for the x and m evo stuff. If you're running v hardware its a no brainer for a tech lever. I did mount the race on the v2 and it does work fine, just doesnt have the fluid push.
  • 01-14-2013
    Shalom
    Good information here :thumbsup:

Thanks guys!
  • 01-14-2013
    TTTURNER
    Hey Shalom. You probably saw the Hope megathread that contained some of this info a while back. You might be able to find it. It had many pictures that made me able to determine that the longer levers of the Tech would fit me better when running gripshift. Otherwise, I would have chosen the Race levers.
  • 01-14-2013
    Shalom
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TTTURNER View Post
    Hey Shalom. You probably saw the Hope megathread that contained some of this info a while back. You might be able to find it. It had many pictures that made me able to determine that the longer levers of the Tech would fit me better when running gripshift. Otherwise, I would have chosen the Race levers.

Sadly not - must have missed it. It is summer here at the moment, so not much MTBR time (too busy riding!). I will definitely have a look though. Thanks TTT :thumbsup:
  • 01-15-2013
    TTTURNER
    I revived a thread called "2010 Hope Race X2 Brakes" on the weight weenies forum for you guys looking for answers on the Race brakes. There is some info for the newer model there.
  • 01-15-2013
    Shalom
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TTTURNER View Post
    I revived a thread called "2010 Hope Race X2 Brakes" on the weight weenies forum for you guys looking for answers on the Race brakes. There is some info for the newer model there.

Thanks! The more info the better, I guess :thumbsup: