wafflemaster
    Jan 2004

Comments 2004 XT Discs?

Anyone use the new 2004 discs? How are the calipers? Lever action/modulation?

I'm waffling on building a frame up with my old mini's or waiting till June when the Specialized sez the FSR's w/ 760 series discs are available.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    no answers from me, just more Q's

i've already decided i want the '04 xt's with the integrated brake lever/shifters. i've already found out that those integrated shifters supposedly only work with an xt rear derailleur (can't see any logic in that but nontheless i read that), no word on compatibility with any front derailleur.

what puzzles me most is hub compatibility, will those rotors work with standard hubs (as on crossmax xl's)?

the Truth will set u free
    Quote Originally Posted by DonSole
    what puzzles me most is hub compatibility, will those rotors work with standard hubs (as on crossmax xl's)?
    The XTR and XT center-lock rotors will only mount to Shimano 2004 XT or XTR hubs, along with a Hugi hub.

However, you can run the older standard 6-bolt Shimano XT rotors on your CrossMax XL's. These will work just fine with the newer XT or XTR discs.
    2001 Ellsworth Truth

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003

... and if we just ... agreed

Quote Originally Posted by AndyH
    The XTR and XT center-lock rotors will only mount to Shimano 2004 XT or XTR hubs, along with a Hugi hub.

However, you can run the older standard 6-bolt Shimano XT rotors on your CrossMax XL's. These will work just fine with the newer XT or XTR discs.
    I agree with the rotor. And apparently you can even use other brand rotors such as hayes, although I don't know for sure.
    I can't see why you couldn't use a xtr RD, but you couldn't use something like a sram XO but I think you already knew that....

SHM
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Specialized has spec'd their 2004 bikes with the old low-normal (2003) XTR RD with the new-style 2004 XT shifters, so obviously they will work with something other then 2004 XT RD.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    I agree with the rotor. And apparently you can even use other brand rotors such as hayes, although I don't know for sure.
    I can't see why you couldn't use a xtr RD, but you couldn't use something like a sram XO but I think you already knew that....

As for the hayes rotors adn shimano calipers, Trek has bikes spec'd with the 760 caliper and bonti disc wheels. At the LBS, the 04 Treks had the 760 calpiers, hayes rotors and race or race lite disc wheels. Think about it, if a bike shop is selling bikes set up like that, I'm sure it works fine otherwise they woldn't be doing it that way

Out of curiosity, I tried a hayes rotor with my 525 caliper and it seemed to work fine.

Andrew

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    tx for all the replies ppl, all my q's have been answered, and then some.

some comments:

- if those integrated shifters work with rapid rise derailleurs, then i can't blame shimano for 'em only working with their rapid rise derailleurs.

- i find it very ghey that shimano doesn't market a brake kit for their hubs and another for standard hubs. indeed it is no big deal finding a rotor with the same width and diameter, but that would make the xt-rotors one received in the package totally obsolete.

wafflemaster
    Jan 2004

Looks like FSR front is standard rotor & rear is XT

Onlne specs for FSR Pro Disc say:
    Front Hub: Specialized Stout disc
    Rear Hub: Shimano M-756 XT

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    something to consider:

- nowhere in shimano product specs i see the STI's not being compatible to whatever brand caliper. if so, it would be possible to use the new hydraulic xt sti's with let's say magura marta rotor + caliper.

the Truth will set u free
    Quote Originally Posted by DonSole
    something to consider:

- nowhere in shimano product specs i see the STI's not being compatible to whatever brand caliper. if so, it would be possible to use the new hydraulic xt sti's with let's say magura marta rotor + caliper.
    The only brake calipers the new Shimano STI shifter/brake levers are compatible with are:

1) Shimano brake calipers (XT, XTR, other Shimano hydro calipers)
    2) Hope Mono Mini and other new Hope calipers with the special Shimano seal kit.

Other calipers, like Magura, are not compatible with Shimano levers. They might work...but there has never been any official compatibility statement made by either Shimano or Magura stating that they will work. If you want to experiment with a setup like that, please post your short-term and long-term results.
    2001 Ellsworth Truth