View Poll Results: which disk brakes should I go with for my all-mountain rig ?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2008 shimano xt's with 180mm in f &160mm in rear

5 38.46%
  • avid juicy 7's

2 15.38%
  • another company

6 46.15%
  • the ol' stick in the spokes

0 0%
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Coming back to mtb after 6 years. Need brake advice

When I raced "back in the day" Hayes was just getting rid of it's champaigne levers and calipers. I had hayes 6 & 8 inch setups and they worked great.

I'm so pumped (no pun intended!) to be getting back in the sport. Suspension tech looks to have made some great progress. As has disc brakes it seems. But it seems like there are many more options than the ol-faithful-Hayes.

I need brakes for my new "all-mountain bike." I'm trying to build it strong yet light. I'm looking at a 180mm rotor up front and a 160 in the back.
    I've kind of narrowed it down to the 2008 xt's or the juicy 7's

are the xt levers spongy? Are the avid's overly grabby & squeel happy?

thoughts? concerns? comments?

'All over it!'
    Consider an offering from Formula. The K18 is reletively cheap and the 'The One' is very expensive but both look good and perform like nothing else. I used to own Avid Juicy Carbons and they are not a patch on the cheaper K18's INHO that is.

banned
    Hope M4. I use them on both my bikes, and perhaps one of the more versatile brakes available- four pistons, which give lots of power, but great modulation, thusly, I actually use them on my rear and the front of my gf's bike. You can also source Shimano m03 or m04 pads and replace them inexpensively.

It all depends on what you want. I won't look down on XT brakes. Avids- not good experiences with them and don't feel all that great. Formula- took them long enough to get to this point, but the levers are still awful in feel and geometry. They're the latest Z. Cavaricci's. I'm also not hot about the bleeding method. Just make it easy already! It was easy in 2003 when that was as good as it got, but now you have companies that just require a tug of the lever a few times and you're done.

Magura Louise brakes get good marks, however you can't use metallic pads and while they do have a harder "Endurance Compound", it's still not the best in sandy wet conditions where you get that gritty slurry that wears pads away. They are good brakes, however.