mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Comfirmation Please

Howdy everyone, hopefully someone out there can confirm my suspicions? I have a bike that I had spec'ed with 203mm Avid Juicy 7's, front and rear. I ran into some clearance issues on the rear with the frame so I wanted to go down to 185mm. The build shop I had used did not send me a 185 Avid rotor, they sent a 180mm Magura SL rotor as they did not have the Avid in stock. Once the new bracket was installed the brakes bolted up fine and there are no real issues. However, when I was packaging up the 203mm rotor to send back it appears as though the brakes had a much bigger bite on the previous set up (looking at the ware pattern on both rotors side by side). When I looked to the front rotor to confirm this it looks as though the difference in the 180mm and the 185mm is that I lose about a quarter inch of bite. The brakes feel plenty powerful, and I can live with that if this will not create future problems as the pads ware?
    Any ideas, or like experience out there in this area?
    Thanks in advance for any input. I'm almost thinking that I should send the Magura back and have them get the Avid as the loss of 5mm of braking surface is bound to scrub off a good deal of power?
    YZF571
    Last edited by YZF571; 12-21-2008 at 04:49 PM.

Meh.
    You either need to shave 2.5mm off the adapter, use a stack of washers 2.5mm shorter than the CPS stack, or get a 185mm rotor.

The smaller rotor will wear a groove into the pads. Eventually, the unworn portions will contact each other and the pads will no longer be able to clamp onto the rotor.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Okay, I guess I should have been able to figure that one out my self. Thanks, I'm thinking paying 5K for a bike entitles me to the right rotor.
    Thank you very much!
    YZF571

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by YZF571
    Thanks, I'm thinking paying 5K for a bike entitles me to the right rotor.
    It does.