mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Code Vs. Juicy 7

I am buying used brakes i want some opinions on what you think i should get i found some good deals for both. the juicy 7 for 125 of the 09 codes for 150 i have heard that the codes require a bunch of maintenance and frequent bleeding which i dont want to have to deal with and this also means that the person who previously owned it could have not taken care of it but is it worth it?

T.W.O.
    Which code? the original code is awesome, but understandably heavier than J7. What bike is this brake going to be on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    09 avid code i dont care about the weight but its going on my downhill bike its a santa cruz bullit

T.W.O.
    If that was the first one that came out with the pad adjustment, it was a sweet brake. The first time I tried it was on the Nomad, sweet brake, powerful but with great modulation. I don't like one without the adj, I like the same lever pull on both side.

mtbr member
    I have the Codes (on a Turner Highline) & also have Juicy 5's on my trail bike. I have Juicy 3's on my Jump Bike.

The Codes DEFINITELY take a bit of tweaking. Other than changing pads, I haven't had to do anything to the Juicys. I had the "turkey warble" on the Juicy 5's when I first got them but that stopped when I switched to organic pads. The Codes are way more powerful than the Juicys & would probably work better on your DH bike. Even though they occasionally require bleeding, the extra power is worth it. Just buy a bleed kit when you buy the brakes & I think you'll be a happy camper with the Codes.

mtbr member
    Codes are way better than juicy for dh. I was blown away when i switched. Besides, juicys still need occasional bleeding too.

Never enough time to ride
    In all fairness all brakes need occasional bleeding, fact. But I have had both the Codes and J7's, I still have my J7's (2008's) on my hardtail. The Code is going to be much better for DH, as already mentioned they are heavy, but power and modulation is insane. The J7 is great for trail and XC riding.

Reliability wise I thought both were great, and as mentioned the J7's are 5 years old and still going with a bleed once a year and a set of pads when they need it. The codes ran for 2 years with pads and a bleed as well.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Hope M4 and call it a day :-P
    Mountain biking never gets easier... You just get faster

OSM
    mtbr member
    I paid $125 for a used J7 set 2 years ago. I changed pads...like 9 times even down to the bare min. i recently got a bleed kit and it made them feel like new. I increased rotor size over time front then rear. I'm happy with 185s and organic pads. on my DH race rig.
    Bicycles D'opinion/ COMMENCAL /Principat D'Andorra

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Do the 11' Codes work with the Avid bleed kit for the older Code model?

mtbr member
    yes same bleed kit.

Members who have read this thread: 0