CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??

Code caliper/Elixer lever combo....anyone tried it....yet ?

I've got a set of 1st generation Codes, th' levers are fried and I have the stuff to rebuild them, but I was wondering if you could run a set of Elixer CR levers w/Code calipers ???
    Seriously tinking of doing this. I need all the power I can get to take the stress off of my hand as it works both brakes, both shifters and holds on at the same time. Codes were/are good but I ain't interested in rebuilding them again & again.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

Boulder chucker
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    I've got a set of 1st generation Codes, th' levers are fried and I have the stuff to rebuild them, but I was wondering if you could run a set of Elixer CR levers w/Code calipers ???
    Seriously tinking of doing this. I need all the power I can get to take the stress off of my hand as it works both brakes, both shifters and holds on at the same time. Codes were/are good but I ain't interested in rebuilding them again & again.

I've been wondering about this ever since I saw this article. Scroll down about a 1/3 of the way, and it appears Spesh may have done just that. I even called both SRAM and Spesh for any details I could get outta them but neither dished up the dirt. Looks possible??

I was thinking about picking up a code caliper and trying out. I don't know though. Hoping to get more info first. So if anyone has got some, please share!!

i ride bikez!!11!
    Aug 2006
    Yep. They're using the Elixir CR lever with Code calipers. Talk about a seriously strong brake....

mtbr member
    MW1H,

How does your set-up work? A line splitter or two masters off one lever?

I've seen the latter on a DH quad, but would think that the splitter wouldn't have enough volume to actuate both calipers without rubbing issues. It'd sure be strong, though.

(I don't know if it's master diameter or piston area, but I just rode some Elixrs and was pretty surprised at how strong they are. If the Taperbore works as advertised, it may be perfect for what you're after.)

I'd like to hear more.

Extra Crispy
    Quote Originally Posted by D.F.L.
    MW1H,

How does your set-up work? A line splitter or two masters off one lever?

I've seen the latter on a DH quad, but would think that the splitter wouldn't have enough volume to actuate both calipers without rubbing issues. It'd sure be strong, though.

(I don't know if it's master diameter or piston area, but I just rode some Elixrs and was pretty surprised at how strong they are. If the Taperbore works as advertised, it may be perfect for what you're after.)

I'd like to hear more.
    I don't think he's using one lever for both brakes... he says in the OP that he wants to use a set of Elixir levers with a set of Code calipers.
    Now with eggs.

I can't upload pics at work but, I do use two seperate levers sorta layered or stacked & offset, if you will, and seperate shifters, X.0 grip rear, XT trigger ft, so it sorta gets tiresome on my "kung-fu grip" & that nessitates a strong brake.
    Thanks for the clarification(s) guys this really puts a bit more spring in my step. Those long dh runs w/an hr of climbing afterwards can take toll on a mans hand(s), but you guyz know this.

Thanks,
    asymmetrical

link to old post w/pic of brake setup brake levers "wrong way round"??
    Last edited by man w/ one hand; 09-10-2009 at 11:58 AM.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

Fat Guy Riding
    Looking at the Santa Cruz bikes from Bromont and Canberra, they've started using the Blackbox (similar to Juicy Ultimate) levers and Elixir CR calipers.

Minnar's bike in his freeride section of The Tipping Point has CRs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer
    A bike company should come out with a bike named after Mikey. the Santa Cruz Vandeman. That would pisss him off to no end.

Ordered a set of Elixer CR's supposed to be here today or Mon. Gonna turn'em into a set of Frankenbrakes w/ my old Code calipers....mmmm, hmmm. Figerz crossed

Boulder chucker
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    Ordered a set of Elixer CR's supposed to be here today or Mon. Gonna turn'em into a set of Frankenbrakes w/ my old Code calipers....mmmm, hmmm. Figerz crossed
    Nice! keep us posted you madman

LCW
    mtbr member
    CRs are simply awesome brakes! Had mine for about a year now... quiet... powerful... excellent modulation... and icing on the cake is how easy it is to change pads... no need to even take off the wheel... the top loading pads are so sweet!

I have to second what MI_canuck said. I decided to "run the 'lixer cr'z as is" for a bit to see if I "need to frankenstien'em out" w/the Code cailpiers. After running about 4 hrs of dh & climbing; my hand had plenty of kung-fu grip left for more of what we love to do. I rode them on some seriously steep, technical, fast, full-tilt-boogie dh runs to see what they're capable of and ....these brakes have some sic power !! Usually my hand is achin' after about 30-45 mins of gnarly fast tech dh [and then for the rest of the day as well], but on this run...."nay, nay". Awesome brakes and at this point I can't see the need to switch to th' Code calipers, yet, but it doesn't mean it won't happen.
    The only thing I can harp on is the pad contact adjustment tends to turn the hose when you adjust it. You have to turn the pad contact adjustment and turn the cable in the opposite direction an equal amount, to get the hose back in proper shape.

These brakes let me worry about full on balls out riding instead of hoping for a section that will allow me to let off the brake(s) long enough to give my hand enough releif to get through the next section. Gotta give props to the Avid guyz, "they th' sh_t".

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    just did that myself, 2008 code calipers on elixir r levers, works really really great, better modulation, less weight, cooler looking bike. I think elixir CR levers would work fine. just did this myself because i rebiult my contact point adjuster system 2 times each lever. hated it, now i dont have it and am finally happy

mtbr member
    Anyone have any pictures? Also, where can I get my hands on just the CR levers? I see them on CRC but for that price I could buy a whole brake set with calipers and all. Any leads?
    Cheers