Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: code brakes

  1. #1
    Edibles
    Reputation: spongstick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    382

    code brakes

    are they worth the extra weight over say xt 775?The codes would be going on my 5spot thanks.

  2. #2
    29er Geek
    Reputation: tozovr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,540
    Quote Originally Posted by spongstick
    are they worth the extra weight over say xt 775?The codes would be going on my 5spot thanks.

    I had Codes on my GRUITR and just switched to the Elixrs because....well because I could...but a big motivator for me was that the Codes were a bit overkill on my trail bike. I have to say though, the levers on the Codes are worthy of an award. The bearings make so much of a difference....just perfect action with no slop. Stunning.
    unityhandbuilt

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,765
    i dont think youll notice that much weight difference. the levers are great as the other guy said.

    they are very powerful though. you will stop on a dime. no joke.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    18
    I really don't notice the weight difference over Juicy 5's. If you want some second hand Code 08s let me know - I want to get rid of mine... Perfect working order, and could be with you for a very good price - say 150 for the pair (203F, 185R, 8 months old).

  5. #5
    Monkey Wrench
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    350
    I'm ditching my Code 7's because they are alot less powerful than my Martas with alot more weight. I really like the bearing pivot on the lever, but they weren't anywhere close to the power of Martas until I put in SwissStop pads.
    Let me fix your bike @ ordinarybicycle.net in Louisville, CO

  6. #6
    I am a pathetic rider...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    645
    Quote Originally Posted by vwvoodoo
    I'm ditching my Code 7's because they are alot less powerful than my Martas with alot more weight. I really like the bearing pivot on the lever, but they weren't anywhere close to the power of Martas until I put in SwissStop pads.
    woah woah woah. Your Codes have less power than your martas???? You do realize that the marta is a XC race brake and the Codes are DH race brakes right? Your codes must have something wrong with them, like a bad bleed or contaminated pads or rotors. I just installed codes on my Vagrant and they have a rediculous amount of power and modulation.
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,765
    Quote Originally Posted by b4 stealth
    woah woah woah. Your Codes have less power than your martas???? You do realize that the marta is a XC race brake and the Codes are DH race brakes right? Your codes must have something wrong with them, like a bad bleed or contaminated pads or rotors. I just installed codes on my Vagrant and they have a rediculous amount of power and modulation.
    dont argue with Marta users about Avid brakes...its a lost cause. especially one who resurrects an old thread to praise Magura

  8. #8
    Monkey Wrench
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    350
    I've been through new pads, multiple bleeds, different rotors. Both front and rear are weak. I don't want to come off as your typical pro-Magura/anti-Avid rider, but my experience with the Codes has reinforced my opinions of Avid.

    That said, every pair of Elixers that I have ridden has felt great. It is really a better competitor to the Shimano 775 (back to the thread) than the Code. My experience with XT has been positive, though they can be finicky... Large (203/180) rotors tend to shift the XT calipers on our Moots Cinco demo, making them rub after harder twists and landings. We have moved to Swiss Stops or a combo of resin and metallic pads for most of our XT775 brake customers to reduce high pitched squealing.
    Let me fix your bike @ ordinarybicycle.net in Louisville, CO

  9. #9
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,516
    HA! You hear something new everyday...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •