Thread: code brakes

Edibles

code brakes

are they worth the extra weight over say xt 775?The codes would be going on my 5spot thanks.

29er Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by spongstick
    are they worth the extra weight over say xt 775?The codes would be going on my 5spot thanks.

I had Codes on my GRUITR and just switched to the Elixrs because....well because I could...but a big motivator for me was that the Codes were a bit overkill on my trail bike. I have to say though, the levers on the Codes are worthy of an award. The bearings make so much of a difference....just perfect action with no slop. Stunning.
    unityhandbuilt

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i dont think youll notice that much weight difference. the levers are great as the other guy said.

they are very powerful though. you will stop on a dime. no joke.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I really don't notice the weight difference over Juicy 5's. If you want some second hand Code 08s let me know - I want to get rid of mine... Perfect working order, and could be with you for a very good price - say 150 for the pair (203F, 185R, 8 months old).

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    I'm ditching my Code 7's because they are alot less powerful than my Martas with alot more weight. I really like the bearing pivot on the lever, but they weren't anywhere close to the power of Martas until I put in SwissStop pads.
    Let me fix your bike @ ordinarybicycle.net in Louisville, CO

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vwvoodoo
    I'm ditching my Code 7's because they are alot less powerful than my Martas with alot more weight. I really like the bearing pivot on the lever, but they weren't anywhere close to the power of Martas until I put in SwissStop pads.
    woah woah woah. Your Codes have less power than your martas???? You do realize that the marta is a XC race brake and the Codes are DH race brakes right? Your codes must have something wrong with them, like a bad bleed or contaminated pads or rotors. I just installed codes on my Vagrant and they have a rediculous amount of power and modulation.
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by b4 stealth
    woah woah woah. Your Codes have less power than your martas???? You do realize that the marta is a XC race brake and the Codes are DH race brakes right? Your codes must have something wrong with them, like a bad bleed or contaminated pads or rotors. I just installed codes on my Vagrant and they have a rediculous amount of power and modulation.
    dont argue with Marta users about Avid brakes...its a lost cause. especially one who resurrects an old thread to praise Magura

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    I've been through new pads, multiple bleeds, different rotors. Both front and rear are weak. I don't want to come off as your typical pro-Magura/anti-Avid rider, but my experience with the Codes has reinforced my opinions of Avid.

That said, every pair of Elixers that I have ridden has felt great. It is really a better competitor to the Shimano 775 (back to the thread) than the Code. My experience with XT has been positive, though they can be finicky... Large (203/180) rotors tend to shift the XT calipers on our Moots Cinco demo, making them rub after harder twists and landings. We have moved to Swiss Stops or a combo of resin and metallic pads for most of our XT775 brake customers to reduce high pitched squealing.
    Let me fix your bike @ ordinarybicycle.net in Louisville, CO

Meh.
    HA! You hear something new everyday...