mtbr member
    Mar 2011

New question here. Clydesdale wanting to upgrade promax 907 hydraulic brakes

i bought a 2011 Gary Fisher Wahoo a couple months ago. That bike comes with promax 907 hydro brakes. while they're pretty good, they're not great, at least for me a 5'10'' 300lbs biker. i prefer to hydros, any recomendations?
    thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Budget?
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    $250

mtbr member
    Shimano SLX Disc Brakes M665 with a 185mm front rotor. You might need need rotors and adapters

a little over budget but Avids come with everything you need to fit them

Avid Elixir 5 Disc Brakes with G3CS 185mm Rotor
    or

Avid Code 5 Disc Brakes With 160mm Rotor
    more All Mountain than XC but they will stop a big boy quick 160s might be enough
    185mm Codes

edit adding links
    Last edited by mitzikatzi; 04-10-2011 at 12:56 AM.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    thanks for the advice mitzikatzi... i will certainly look into these

Bike to the Bone...
    Elixir 5 can be found below your budget. I would go with a 8" rotor in front, whatever at the rear.

I had some Magura Louise BAT brakes before the Elixir 5 I recently installed. Honestly? I think the Louises are going to go back, but I'm still wanting to give the Elixirs a try. There is a problem (I think that it depends mostly with some frames only, not all) that makes the elixirs noisy and they sort of vibrate. I'm going to try another set of rotors than the original from Avid (Cleansweep 3), and see how they feel. I don't know how cheap/expensive the Louises are, but if within your budget I would look into them. There is a version that doesn't have the BAT thing, look into that.

Shimano is also good.

mtbr member
    Pretty sure the Suntour fork has a 185mm rotor limit, so might want to check on that before ordering something.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Eville140
    Pretty sure the Suntour fork has a 185mm rotor limit, so might want to check on that before ordering something.
    Hey, good point! I didn't saw that...