More Torque

Clicking/Creaking from Shimano 2 piece Centerlock Rotors - Solved

Hey guys,

I was having a strange clicking/creaking noise from my rear brake area; I'm running XT brakes with XTR Centerlock rotors.

I thought it might have been the caliper/frame interface, but swapping in a spare wheel made the problem go away, so I ruled that out. I also greased the splines/hub interface and tried a different lockring. No change. When I moved the rotor to the front of the bike, it had the same problem, so I determined it must be the rotor itself. I figured that it just be the interface between the aluminum rotor arm and steel brake surface, so here is how I fixed it.

1. I taped off the entire brake surface with blue painter's tape (both sides)
    2. Using Prolink Gold, which is a very thin-bodied lubricant with good wicking properties, I carefully lubed the rivets and steel/aluminum interface, while allowing time for the lube to penetrate
    3. After a few minutes, I wiped off all excess lube with a clean rag, then went over the entire area with denatured alcohol and a second clean rag
    4. I pulled off the painter's tape, and cleaned the brake track with more denatured and a 3rd clean rag
    5 Reinstalled - problem solved

Hope this helps one of you.

-D

If you think you can
    Thanks for the tip. My oversized saint rotors are doing the same thing. I'll give it a try.

More Torque
    Cool, be careful not to get any lube on the braking surface and let me know if it solves your problem!

-D